Peek-a-Boo plus cropped rework

Edit: Thanks so much for the valuable feedback. Based on that I’ve done a couple things. This cropped from the original, less tall now, mostly from the bottom, but some from the top.

I’ve brightened the leaves using both b&w/luminosity mode as well as a Selective color layer. that upper leaf was a bit problematic as it got brighter and more saturated than the others, so I selectively painted down those effects in a couple of the leaves. Also boosted the yellow sat a little. Was easy to go to far in both adjustments. I hope this isn’t too much. Still trying to keep it real.

In addition, I also dropped the luminosity of the trunks themselves a little; slightly less bold and contrasty to also try and give more emphasis to the leaves.

How’s this version? Better? or just a different alternative?

Thanks so much!

Out of season now… but this goes back to my fall color trip to the Eastern Sierra last October. While I’m pretty sure being attracted to the aspen leaves peeking out between the trunks, I also really like the various markings on the main trunk.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All feedback welcome. Especially interested in comments on color/sat/luminosity of the aspen leaves. And how is the WB of the trunks?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All feedback welcome. I have a cropped version coming up from the bottom. But I liked the markings on the trunk so left it vertically uncropped. this is cropped on the sides to remove the bg. Also, the narrow “v” above the leaves was also an earthy bg that I filled in with aspen trunk. Hope that works ok.

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @300mm f/11 2-image focus stack

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Lon

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Beautiful capture Lon. Lovely composition with the trio of trunks, and the splash of color looks great. My only suggestion would be to possibly brighten the leaves a bit.

Lon, excellent in every way. I feel it moves up my list of favs I have of your many “tree” photographs over the years. I’ve always liked this style of image. But this one really out does my thoughts of how good they truly can be. Just a very different one here. Not just the little outcropping, but the various bark or skin tracking or tracings if you will. They are a real draw for thoughts of patterns. Various claw or animal foot pads maybe. I also like the frame filled or cropped into tree only view…:+1:

What an eye you have, Lon! And the camera skills to go with it. This is about as good as I’ve seen from the aspens in many a year. I’d sure test the upper limits of printing technology with this one and hang it in a prominent place. I wouldn’t crop a millimeter from it, as the long format works so well with the straight lines of the trunks to further emphasize the peeking leaves.

Lon - I just posted an image with the same title, and saw yours only afterwards :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:- apologies!!!
Anyway, I love the contrast between the cool bluish trunks and the yellow leaves. A beautiful intimate scene!

1 Like

Once again, out on my own. This one is not working for me. My eye goes to the knots on the foreground tree and stops. The back trees seem cut off. The comp just doesn’t come together for me. Everyone else seems to like it though. And in the scheme of things, your opinion is the only one that really matters for your image. :slight_smile:

This works pretty well for me, Lon. The leaves are a nice addition to bring in some warm color. Your addition of the trunk above the leaves is not noticeable to me. Feels a little cramped at the sides, but understand your reasoning. I’ve had similar situations with tree trunk compositions myself.

Love the contrast between the stark trunks and the colorful leaves. The composition really accentuates the peek-a-boo feeling. A whimsical image indeed.

Thanks for the comments folks! @Bill_Chambers, I was wondering if anyone was going to suggest that. Thanks I was thinking the same thing.

No worries @Harley_Goldman - if we all had the same vision and reaction to images, what a boring place the world would be. Appreciate the honesty!

I like this image, Lon, quite a lot. Maybe, maybe, it is a bit too… long. I would have probably gone for a more square format, but that’s personal of course…
Ant

I like the composition with the off-center leaves. I could see making these yellows a bit brighter just to make sure they separate from the tonal level of the trunks. Yellow should feel brighter than the whitish-gray trunks, IMO.

I really like this and can’t think if that I would change or do differently. Really nice work Lon!

I think the knots are a nice addition to the composition. However, I would suggest to both brighten the leaves and increase saturation. That would focus the viewers attention more toward the leaves at first glance. I would like to see a slight crop off the top and bottom.

This one isn’t working for me Lon. I think it’s a good concept but the choice of subject could have been better. I don’t find those knots or markings very attractive and the leaves are starting to decay. I think both of those are working against the concept here. Alas we don’t have that beautiful east coast birch bark here in California.

Lon, I’m really enjoying the cropped version of this playful image with the fall leaves playing peek-a-boo. The textures in the trunks are an outstanding addition.

1 Like