Light Channel

I managed to get up early enough & preplan capturing the sunrise through this channel in the rocks.
For the composition, I wanted the sun low enough to create an arrow shape in the shadows with a focus on the forground

What technical feedback would you like if any?

How does the composition, colour, shadows etc look and is there anything you’d suggest I can change

I’m worried about is the bottom right of the frame being too bright & perhaps hindering the image

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Love anything

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
4 exposures (3 for the foreground, 1 for the sunstar) blended in photoshop, jumping into camera raw and using tk action to help me along the way

Cheers!
Dale

2 Likes

Gorgeous Dale. Nicely seen and executed.

1 Like

Dale - I knew this was your image. Dude - you LOVE some dramatic light eh?

It took me a minute to identify the arrow you were talking about. I see that now. Looks super cool.

Composition is great. No recommendations here. Color is heavy on the yellow saturation but this is a matter of taste. While I feel is prominent, it’s just this side of too much for my eye. I think it works great.

As for the bottom right - I think you’re right. It’s bright, but not brighter than the sun. The texture is just a little distracting, but not a deal breaker for me. Is it water or rock?

There isa magenta note to the light in the mid ground not readily identifiable in the sky or lower R and L corners. This seems just a bit disharmonious to my eye.

If I remember correctly, I think back to some of your other images and feel you’re managing the color casts in your shadows much better now. Great improvement to my eye.

1 Like

All I can say is how this really caught my eye. Beautiful colors and scene, and the way you caught the lines and path of light coming from the sun is beautiful. Great planning and eye to find this scene, Dale!

1 Like

A fine plan well executed to capture this. Colors are fine to me. As you wondered, to me the lower right rock and water are bright. I love the sharp arrowhead but maybe it’s left could be dodged a little. I also felt the left edge was not contributing much and could be shaved a bit.

3 Likes

Dear @dalegphoto, it’s a great shot. I love how you managed the light. Post processing is fantastic in my opinion but regarding composition, I would not have included the shadow zone in the left. It’s only my opinion, the image works well as is.

1 Like