Little Hunters Beach Sunrise

While in Acadia I am always looking for something different to photograph instead of the usual fare. During a visit in June of 2017 I was looking for a couple of locations that might provide some nice images of the Milky Way and decided to check out Little Hunters Beach. It is an area that I have seen little photography from and during my visits since 2017 I have only had one photographer show up while I was there.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Just wondering if the merge of the two sections of granite rock bothers anyone. I could not get any higher and if I moved to the right I lost the lighter grouping of cobble stones which I definitely wanted to include in the image. All C&C welcome.

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 24 mm, f 18 @ 2 sec, ISO 200, 2 stop GND filter, cable release & tripod

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Glad to see that someone else is enjoying Little Hunters! Easily one of my top spots in Acadia to enjoy (and thankfully with almost no parking).

I try to look at photos in the critique section before reading the feedback someone is looking for, just to see if I notice something on my own that the photographer might be wondering about. Unfortunately, my eye did notice the overlapping rocks before I read that you were curious about them. I think given how dark and prominent the shapes are it makes the composition a bit heavy in the center. I’ve done the dance in Acadia of trying to get all of the roks and features on the coast to line up plenty of times, so I feel your pain.

I think you handled the edit of the sky really well–colorful but not overpowering. On my monitor, I can’t see any detail in the darkest shadows of the foreground rocks, so maybe bringing those up a bit could give the viewer’s eye something else to explore in that area of the frame. I’d be curious to hear other’s thoughts on the composition.

Ed, Little Hunters is one of my favorite spots in Acadia, it’s great for Milky Way too. But go there on a rainy day to photograph the colorful cobble stones, some of the best intimate landscape shooting at Acadia.

My comments mirror those already given you by @Kevin_D_Jordan. The sky really looks great, but the dark rocks create a mid-ground that makes it very hard for your eye to have front to back flow in this scene, the rocks sort of create a blocking element in the way I view the image. Yes the merger of the rocks is a little distracting, but IMO I’d rather see a different angle of view where you had a mid-ground with more water reflecting the wonderful color from the sky. I guess I’d like a mid-ground that isn’t so dominant as this one is.

Thanks guys @Kevin_D_Jordan and @Ed_McGuirk. You pretty much summed up my feelings on the rocks blocking the flow of the scene. I was over in the right corner of Little Hunters as I wanted to catch the sun just appearing around the point of land and I wanted to include the white cobbles in the FG. Next time I may take some waders so I can move about the rocks. Here is another version without the rocks that has a totally different feel.
@Kevin_D_Jordan : Little Hunters has also turned into one of my favorite places and the lack of parking certainly helps keep down the volume of people.
@Ed_McGuirk : Little Hunters is a place I will return to on my future trips and you are right about it being a wonderful spot for the MW.

I second @Ed_McGuirk’s Milky Way comment as well. I got one of my all-time favorite night shots here. Not that all of Acadia isn’t fantastic for night sky photos, but the shape of the cove and the smooth cobbles set it apart. Definitely a spot worth revisiting to explore different angle and conditions.

Ed,

I can see why you are attracted to, and wanted to include, the stones at the bottom. They are certainly worthy of exploring and photographing. Along the lines of Ed’s comments, I think the heaviness of the midground rock (regardless of the merging) disconnects the interest of the stones with the glorious sunrise. The sky is so gorgeous, yet only given less than a third of the real estate.

I love the crop, and there is no question about the main subject. Of course you’re right, it’s a totally different image. Here’s another alternative. By keeping in some of the rock, you get a little depth and anchor.

A lot included in the original post which competes and takes away from that glorious sky.

Lon

Alternative. I burned down the LLC, as well as little cloning after the crop.

Thanks @Lon_Overacker; I had not even thought of that. It’s often amazing what a fresh set of eyes can do to help a scene. I had thought of trying to use the content aware tool to try and remove the midground rock, but decided that it would alter the scene to much.

The original post is far more interesting than the others which, to me, seem cliched compositions. The dark granite works for me because it sets off the ‘treasure’ beneath very nicely. The white rocks are what leaves an impression on me, not the sunset. It’s an intriguing image.

I think I am with Igor on this one. Very easy to follow from bottom to top with much to explore. Seems well balanced to me.