Little Hunters Beach in the Moonlight

The Milky Way was not up yet, but the moonlight was casting some wonderful light on the scene so I decided to take a few images with the hope that I would like them. I do enjoy this one, but I would love to get hear other’s opinions.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 19 mm, f 2.8 @ 20 sec, ISO 3200, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Ed, I really like this. The subtle moonlight is really great. Just a touch of light on everything. While I enjoy a good Milky Way photo, personally, I prefer my own night sky photos without them most of the time unless it is really suited for the composition. The one thing that is getting to me with this is that I feel like it is a little too tight on the left. I’d love a little more shore to lead me around and my eyes keep getting dragged back to the cut-off rocks with the light…

Like this alot brother. Stars seem to be nice and sharp. The moon light casts a nice glow on the landscape. I didn’t get anything from that night. About half way up from the bottom, I see two eyes staring back at me from that rock in the water. LOL
:vulcan_salute:

I think everything was up. Beautiful image. Looks like Maine.

The Creature from the Black Lagoon summers in Maine, and spends its winters in Florida :grinning:

Wow Ed, this moonlit night-scape looks great, the subtle light on the rocks and surf looks really nice. I like the composition as presented, and how the moon balances the right side of the comp. Your processing of both the sky and landscape looks good to me. Little Hunters looks like a great location for night shots.

A couple of suggestions for improvement, first I would clone away that very bright star near the tree, it pulls my eye away from the center of the image. And second, and I admit a real nitpick, it feels to me like there is too strong a vignette in the ULC and URC, I’d suggest backing that off a bit.
But that is a real nit, overall this is a very pleasing image, I love the moon light look here. Milky Way not required in this case.

Ed, I don’t do much night photography but this photo makes me want to try. I’m really enjoying the look and feel this has. A very cool look and it does feel like night! nice work!

Ed, this works very well showing the shore at night. There’s enough light to see by, but it’s clear dark and the stars stand out very well. Yes, the “rock monster” watching the photog is a bit spooky, but that’s good fun.

Ed,

Terrific night sky image. Definitely think this one needs to be viewed in a dark environment to appreciate. As I’m viewing it now, the rocks and water are just a bit dark. Duh, of course it’s night time… but still. Again, maybe viewing this when it’s much darker will help.

For me, just the vertical length is creating a 50/50 comp and so perhaps cropping some of the bottom will help with the compositional balance. I’m ok with the tightness on the left, although I’d do something with the brightest star (planet?) breeching the edge above the trees. A bit tight there.

Lon