Hello and 'Milford in Moonlight' image feedback wanted

Hi there! Although I’ve been signed up for awhile, I’ve yet to make use of this wonderful forum. I used to take part in the old version of the network a few years ago when I was based in Colorado. I’m now in New Zealand and focused on landscape photography, as I was then.

Please see the attached image. I struggle to post-process moonlight images to create anything interesting. I feel very limited in what I can do (or know how to do) and thus my final image is usually only brighter and slightly color-corrected than the RAW. Could any of you suggest post-processing techniques for moonlight images in general and specifically the image attached? I prefer to keep my enhancements on the natural end of the spectrum, and the scene looked very much like the attached image to my eye, so perhaps there isn’t much more to add here. Still, I thought I should share just in case.

Thanks for your time!
Crystal

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Crystal, this is a wonderful first post, and welcome to NPN. I look forward to seeing more of your work here. And there is no point in starting with an easy to process image, you might as well go straight to moonlit nightscapes :grinning:

I like the composition of this image a lot, the two partial mountains on both sides are powerful framing elements. And because they are in silhouette, they are very effective at drawing attention to the moonlit peaks in the center. Because the foreground is very dark, I could see a crop from the bottom to eliminate negative space. It may be an optical illusion, but I think the horizon is slightly tilted to the left, and i would straighten it. I would also suggest cloning away the two buoy lights, they are a minor distraction and don’t add anything to the story here.

I think your processing of the sky and moonlit peaks looks very good and natural, I especially like your white balance. I do think the foreground is too dark and wish for slightly more luminosity in the reflection in the water. I can see keeping the shoreline and rocks in silhouette though. You could try dodging the water, but the better approach to avoid adding noise would be to bracket and blend exposures, one exposed for the sky, another for the water.

Here is a rework with my comments addressed.

You came with a gift, way to go, thanks for that.
I think I see some single bad pixels (red dots), one on the right edge middle. I would like to see less bottom, some of these kinds of images have reflections of the stars in the black water…and more top because that’s that’s who I am. Maybe some off the left side. Maybe has to many black areas with no detail.
Of course this is art, you are the artiest, I will enjoy any decisions you make. GL

Crystal,

A long awaited welcome to NPN! Glad you decided to post and what a grand first entry.

Kudos for executing such a beautiful moonlit scene - and to manage with the snow-capped peaks is even more impressive. Speaking of impressive, the detail of the mountains in the large version is incredible. Slightly noisy in the stars, but that’s pretty minor.

I agree with comments about all the darkness below. Nothing wrong per se, but I think cropping about 1/2 way up to the longest mountain reflection could work/help. Also, you could clone out the white and red spots on the far shore. Plus a slight increase in luminosity as Ed demonstrated, along with the horizon tilt would make for a subtle improvement.

But dang, if this isn’t pretty spectacular as presented. The deep blue of space and stars and the stark, pure white of the snow-capped peaks… beautiful.

Thanks for posting and we’ll look forward to more.

Lon

Welcome, Crystal!

I agree that this is spectacular especially with the snow capped peak. I do wish that the rest of the image has a little more shadow detail but especially the foreground just as suggested by the others. I think you have rendered the sky perfectly!

1 Like

This is very dramatic, and well done. I do agree with the crop and other suggestions.

Welcome to the new NPN!
-P

This is a wonderful night scene Crystal. I like both Ed’s and Lon’s suggestions. BTW - Welcome back to NPN.

Welcome (back?)!

Love the composition and the overall feel of the scene; you’ve captured the moonlight on the peaks very well.

Lots of great suggestions above, and especially agree with the thought of more shadow detail. (Not a lot; it’s really easy to over do and end up with something garrish.) I’ve seen large amounts of black work well in some images, most often in black and white, but I think a hint of shadow detail here would look more natural. For me, this usually means that I have to take two images and blend them.

Hello again! Sorry for my delayed response. Thank you all SO much for providing such apt feedback! It is most appreciated. I am attaching an edited photo that incorporates many of your suggestions. Alas I did not take two exposures so I was only able to lighten the water by dodging. I’ll keep that in mind for next time.

I should have also said that this was taken on a Fuji XT-2 with a Rokinon 12 mm f/2 lens.

Thank you again for your time. I’ll be posting more soon! :slight_smile: