Loggerhead Shrike

Technical Data
Canon 90D Canon EF 100-400 iso 200 -1EV
I chose this image because it show off how beautiful these little guys are. This pose shows of this birds back and wing feathers. I managed to catch just a glimpse of his barbed peak and a little glint in his eye. Comments and technical feedback

will be appreciated.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Dave, this is a nice look at this Loggerhead Shrike. We have them in our area, and have seen him killing a baby snake by beating it against the branch on the tree he was perched in. They know how to use that beak. The perch isn’t the ideal perch, but they don’t go land on demand where we want them. I love the head turn and the glint in his eye. I am thinking maybe you could crop in a little from the sides a little bit, to make it more of an 8X10 type of image. It almost feels panoramic, and the background to the left and right aren’t as important as the subject. Just a thought. Nice shot. These guys don’t let you get too close to them.

1 Like

Excellent detail and a very nice smooth contrasty background. I agree with Shirley with respect to the crop. And yes they are hard to find and they are not very cooperative.

Hi Dave, wonderful details on the bird and the background compliments as well. I could see trying cropping options as suggested as you seem to have the image quality on the bird to hold up to it. Still a fine capture as presented. A nemesis bird for me in terms of photography - thanks for sharing it here.

First of all thank you to everyone for your comments and criticisms. I appreciate all of them. As to the cropping comments, I agree with your suggestions. Actually I don’t no why I didn’t crop this pic. Normally I do not an image in the subject in the middle of a pic. Finally, I guess I am lucky because I see this Loggerheads all year long. Normally they are above me and you get that pic of the chest and head. It is easy to forgot how pretty this guys back and wing feathers are.