Lone Cloud - Eastern Sierras

I was on a photo workshop a couple of years ago in the Eastern Sierras, near Bishop, CA. On this night I was hoping for a Mt. Whitney scene at sunset, but it wasn’t happening…Whitney was obscured by clouds. I turned to look at the line of mountains and saw this scene off in the distance. Just a little dark cloud all by itself, against a setting sun sky, with rays of light. I like the simplicity and layers, and contrast of light and dark, and just the lone little cloud!

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
The original image has the lone cloud dead center. Some brighter cloud wisps off to the left seemed to distract from the lone cloud, so I cropped the wisps out and ended up with the off-center lone cloud. Darkened the foreground and warmed up the sky in LIghtroom.

200mm, f/8, 1/640 second, ISO 100.

2 Likes

This looks great, Mark. It really showcases the rays well and the reverse cloud (dark instead of white) isolates very well. Great depth and light. No nits here, I quite like it.

1 Like

Well seen and beautifully processed!

1 Like

Mark, that lone cloud sets a great stage. The angled rays of light and the series of mountains make a fine scene. Nice job of keeping your mind open and seeing the entire scene.

1 Like

Beautiful soft golden color palette, Mark. I also, love the simplicity of the image. So glad you took the time to look back. Very nicely seen and captured.

1 Like

Very cool, Mark. The layering is wonderful and that one little cloud is the perfect accent for the scene.

1 Like

@Harley_Goldman , @Kris_Smith , @Mark_Seaver , @linda_mellor , @Dennis_Plank - Thanks for your comments. I’m glad you enjoy this like I do!

Beautifully composed! I love the second, light cloud on the right, against dark mountains, and that it ends before the edge of the frame.

1 Like

Mark, this image is a great illustration of the old adage “remember to turn around and look behind you”. When you have light and weather like this, you get the moments that we live for as a landscape photographers. This image is all about the light, and it is simply gorgeous.

1 Like

Thanks @Ed_McGuirk. Definitely a lesson in keeping an open mind and looking all around. I’m glad it worked out. And @Diane_Miller, I like that little cloud too!!

Wow, Mark! This so beautiful and dramatic. Like the cloud and also the dark skies above with the light coming out from them. Also love the way the mountains are silhouetted and standing out from the sun beams. Greatly captured!

1 Like

Sometimes Plan B works out better than the original plan, Mark. The light rays streaming through the ridgelines are simply fantastic and that dark cloud adds some additional drama to this lovely scene. Beautifully done!

1 Like

@Vanessa_Hill and @Ed_Lowe , thank you very much for you kind comments. I’m lucky I turned around and looked, that’s for sure.

1 Like