Lone Oak

Lon’s excellent ridge image jogged a memory of one I had in the archives from the Santa Ynez valley behind Santa Barbara. This one goes back to 2008 and my first digital SLR, a Canon 5D and a 70-200mm. I gave it a little rework. Thanks for the inspiration, Lon.

Very Nice, sir. The color works very well, and I like warm/cool sky. The oak has lots of nice detail, too. No nits.
–P

Harley, a really wonderful silhouetted hill top oak here. I like the POV and placement of the tree in the scene. This was an excellent exposure with the failing light too. This particular sky made a perfect backdrop.
Being a bit ambidextrous I find myself many times placing things more to the left in scenes. But with the quickly rising RHS I’m sure it would not have been as appealing as this view. Additionally the light on the RHS is really lacking compared to the left side by far. Excellent call overall…:+1:

Thanks Harley! Plenty of inspiration going around the pages on NPN for sure!

There is something so appealing and inspirational with trees silhouetted on a hilltop. Been searching it seems like forever for that perfect tree… yet to find it. This one comes close and its character comes from the fact that the tree isn’t so perfect; yet so beautiful in it’s loneliness against the fading sky. Well done and thanks for going back in to the archives for this one.

Lon

Lovely, Harley. I love the curve of the hill and the oak against the sky is beautiful.

The tree’s shape is great, Harley. The sky behind it also looks great. As with Lon’s ridgeline, there are very inviting sense of space as well as a joy of being there feeling. In the places that I hang out in (MD and MT), lone trees are extremely rare, so I’m sure enjoying all of this week’s views of individual trees.