Lone Survivor

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Although its been a while since my last winter trip to Iceland (March 2022), I still have a backlog of images left to edit,
I managed to arrive to famous diamond beach early enough to scout for new composition and a few more original perspectives but sadly upon arrival I discovered the hard fact - there are almost no diamonds left!.

After a few minutes of searching I managed to find a single blue diamond that the waves were barely reaching it leaving me a single survivor for that visit.

Technical Details

Z7II 14mm F/11 30 seconds

5 Likes

I like this image a lot. The color of the sunset compliments the cool blue of the ice and ocean really well. The forms of the ice also sort of mirror the rocks in the ocean. The long exposure turning the waves into a mist rather than liquid. I think you did really well.

There is truly not much I would change, but maybe try to bring out the mountains at the horizon and separate them from the clouds there, but no idea if that actually would improve the image… I would also love to have seen this shot at different shutter speeds and see what texture/form the water would have taken (not exactly something you could post-process for though :wink:)

Idan, I was immediately drawn to your picture. The textures in the ice against the smoothness of each of the rocks and the leading line of the shore that points to an exciting sky all add to the scene’s beauty. I also like the play of the warm golds against the cool blues. The subtle darkness at the left of the picture keeps my eye from lingering there and takes me back to the ice, warm hues in the water, and the sky. I have only one wish. If only it were possible to get the camera down to ground level and make the ice bigger than life. It would shorten the less interesting mid part of the picture and allow the distance to play off the ice. One wouldn’t be tempted to get to ground level on all those rocks. The only way would be if you had an LCD screen that could be tipped so you could see what you were doing. Just my two cents worth on a very special picture.
I look forward to seeing other Iceland pictures.

By the way, I was scheduled to go to Iceland in January of this year but had to cancel. The group reported only one “diamond” on the shore this year.

Nice soft light in this image which compliments the striking diagonal line of the shore. I think you’ve highlighted the block of ice as a centrepiece of the composition. I think you’ve created a nice balance between softness and dynamism here. Well done!

Wow, I really love the luminosity here – especially in the ice and the water along the shore. There isn’t much that I would change here other than that the rocks on the shore in the bottom third of the image look unnaturally dark and if you would even that out (blend it in) with the rest of the beach the image would have more of an overall cohesive look. :slight_smile:

Wow, this iridescent diamond on the beach pops perfectly. I agree with @Tom_Nevesely about the wonderful luminosity. I’d be delighted with this image exactly as it is. You are commended for your seeing ability and for a great comp. The under-stated background works well with the color and glow of the diamond. I might try to paint some of the yellow color in the sky over some of the bright white in the sky . Check out yesterday’s NPN webinar with Sean Bagshaw to learn the color painting technique - most valuable. Congratulations on this image.