Black ice

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Well, some of you might know Diamond Beach already. No surprises :wink:

Specific Feedback

I wanted to work out the contrast between storm and warm sun. Do you think I succeeded? Should the sky be even darker? And overall: Do you feel like the image is overly processed?

Technical Details

1/5sec, f22, ISO100

2 Likes

Hi Markus,
What an awesome image! This image is both exciting and inspiring to look at, you have done a great job at capturing a magnificent sunrise (or sunset?).

I donā€™t believe that the sky should be any darker, although I would consider reducing the brightness of the sun and some of the warmer tones, as I find they overpower some of the other elements in the image.
While I love looking at the interesting geometry and cool tones of the ice, my attention is constantly drawn back to the bright sun. While the brightness does create a great sense of contrast between the sky, it does seem to overpower the foreground.
I feel like the image is very well processed, the only other thing I would consider changing is perhaps reducing the brightness or saturation of some of the pebbles in the bottom right of the frame as they can be slightly distracting. Apart from these points, this is a beautiful image that seems very well composed!

Hi Markus,
so obviously you have also discovered the secret beach. :rofl: Really cool. I love this dramatic mood with the sun peeking just below the dark clouds.

The image isnā€™t overly processed at all. I like the contrast in the sky.

The main subject is the awesome ice blocks in the foreground. In my opinion, your image could benefit from accentuating them a little bit more.
I hope you donā€™t mind that I downloaded your image and messed around with it.

• TKā€™s Lights/Darks Triple Play on the main ice blocks
  • Some dodge and burn on the ice blocks to let them pop a little bit more
  • Burning the small pebbles under the iceblock in the foreground. The pebbles have somewhat distracted from the beautiful shape of the ice.

What a great image. It makes me want to fly to Iceland again. Well done!

1 Like

Hello Markus,

I have yet to get to Iceland but I love seeing all the great images from there! I feel the contrast of the sun and stormy sky are distracting the viewersā€™ eye from those wonderful ice bits. The adjustments that Jens did help a lot. I wish the piece of ice on the left stood out a bit more, but that would simply be another frame, another moment where the water would be moving differently. Hopefully you took many versions of this - itā€™s a nice image no matter what.

Thanks, Jens, indeed the ice stand out better more. Itā€™s an older edit, and somewhat after re-editing over and over I stop ā€œseeingā€ :slight_smile:

Welcome to NPN, Markus. JƶkulsĆ”rlĆ³n is an awesome place, well worthy of its icon status. I like your composition very much, and agree with @Jens_Oberā€™s edit. Beautiful.

1 Like