Lonely tree in the clearing clouds

Hi everyone, hope you had a nice holiday season. I’ve not been doing much photography as I’ve just not had the time. This image was taken at the back end of last year when I went to shoot a sunrise location I’d scouted.

The conditions were not great for the intended composition but I noticed some low cloud on a nearby mountain which was making these cool layers on the ridge line. As the cloud cleared this lonely tree appeared which balanced the scene nicely. It reminded me of a lonely outpost on the gloomy mountain.

Processed to reflect the feel of the morning. Moody, lacking colour and gloomy.

I’d love some feedback on it. I’m trying to break the long lens out more and practice as it is something I usually shy away from but this little part of the landscape was too interesting to pass up.

Many thanks
Chris

1 Like

I hear you, Chris. The end of the year went so quickly, and time for photography disappeared.

Lovely image. I enjoy the monotone look of this photo. It makes it very moody and is fitting for the subject matter. With the tree being the primary subject, I feel it’s a little left-weighted. I think you could preserve the really nice layered composition while shifting the weight toward the subject and cropping off some of the left, maybe to a 4x5 aspect ratio.

Very nice overall. I think I could keep coming back to to view this and finding nice details in exploring the image. Cheers

1 Like

Chris,

That fog and light are really making for quite the moody and somewhat unique image. The highlighted fog behind that middle ridge and the lone little tree stands out for me. As does what appears to be the rising/setting sun behind the veil of fog in the UR.

In general, the foggy conditions and light have given this a unique look. Please don’t take as a negative, but it kinda reminds me of what this scene might look like if captured using a Holga film camera. It’s a whole cult kinda thing and I think folks still use them (I have one and shot maybe 2-3 rolls of film…) Anyway, a somewhat unique atmosphere here. If anything, I think that the tall tree could be considered either an asset or a distraction depending on ones outlook and perspective.

Lon

1 Like

Chris,

Definitely an eye catching image. It has a great mood to it. I think the lone tree is certainly an asset to the image. The processing is interesting and gives this photo a unique look.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I’ll try a crop and see if it improves the balance. @Lon_Overacker I have no idea what that is so I have no chance of being offended :grin:

I think it is excellent as presented. It has an infrared look to me which I like.

1 Like

Chris this is a very striking image, I love the moodiness of this scene. I think the composition is well balanced as presented, and I do not see any need to crop this. The repeating bands of light and dark here are just wonderful. I also like the blue toning here used. I would not change a thing about this image.

1 Like

I forgot to add, I would love to see this as a metal print. I think it would have a lot of impact.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback guys. @Ed_McGuirk I completely agree. I’m about to move house so maybe that can be my house warming gift to myself :grin:

Chris, I’m going to walk back my initial thoughts. A second look makes for a different feel I guess. I agree with the others that posted after my comments. I do think the balance works in the drop as presented. The 4x5 should work too; so when you make that nice print, I foresee you’ll be please in whichever ratio you choose. Cheers!

1 Like

Chris, I too like the misty layering and monochrome look here. The mood is great, and I like the lone tree.

In looking at the large version, I see some areas that are blurry or soft:
The top of the tree
The left side of the middle ridge
The bump on the lower end of the middle ridge
The right side of the top ridge under the bright spot

It’s not out of focus or camera movement, because it’s only certain areas. I can’t figure out what would be causing it, maybe something in the processing that wasn’t fully masked in those areas? Anyway, I figure it was worth mentioning, especially if you might get a metal print.

1 Like

Hmmmm that’s odd. Thanks Craig. As you say it must be something gone amiss in the editing as I checked the original file and it was as clear as it was going to get.