Long-eared Owl

Always a challenge to find these well-camouflaged birds, but when you find them :slight_smile: … This one I found this morning in a suburb. With some 10 other owls, all in the same tree, but more obscured. Thanks for viewing and any feedback ! Cheers, Hans
p.s. more can been viewed at https://www.hansoverduin.nl/owls-in-fall-foliage/

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D850 with 500mm f4 | 1/800s | f6.3 | ISO800 | overexposed 2/3EV | tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Sure is well camouflaged. Very nice capture and nicely framed by the leaves.

1 Like

Wow, I can’t find an owl to photograph, and you found 10 in one tree!!! He is quite camouflaged, which is probably one of the reasons I have yet to point my camera at one, you can look right at them and miss seeing them.

1 Like

11 Owls in one tree? Amazing. Are they migrating through or do you get a winter influx?

An excellent image. Great job finding the hole in the foliage and I really like the depth of field-the foreground leaves have just the right blur for my taste.

Hi Hans, I really like this. Nice blurring of the leaves as Dennis mentioned and your critical focus of the bird is spot on. I can see just enough of the bird to feel a connection with it.

1 Like

Hello, Dennis. The species is known to hang out in groups during the winter season, so 10 in one tree is not unusual. Sometimes they use the same tree for years, but this location was new to me. So, no influx, and usually resident birds grouping together in the off-breeding season so to speak.

My target species this winter but super difficult to get a good clean shot of. This “window” works out really really well, Hans!