Autum Owl

Yesterday I drove quite a stretch to shoot a Dipper. But it was in an impossible place - so no shots. Before driving back home, I paid this Tawny Owl a visit. Luckily it was ‘home’, otherwise the day would have been a total failure :wink: … Also fortunate was that there were still some Autumn-colored leaves which I could use to shoot through. Thanks for any comments, Cheers, Hans

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

The soft tones and low contrast is intentional, but it may not appeal to everyone I assume …

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D500 with 500mm f4 | 1/100s | f4 | ISO800 | overexposed 1 FS | tripod and cable release. In postprocessing overexposed a bit more.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hi Hans
Nice to know were a Tawny Owl lives. I really like the soft tones and low contrast. It was nice of the Owl to stay still for the 1/100 sec. Nice work and a good end of the day.
Peter

1 Like

Any time one can capture a photo of an owl (which I have yet to do), I would think it a successful day, Hans. Love how the soft golden leaves are framing this guy. Great shot. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Cool shot shooting through the trees. Nice almost spotlight effect.
A unique Owl photo…

1 Like

Nice that you got some autumn leaves to shoot through. It is an interesting looking owl. Nice and sharp and good to see one at its roost. I like the soft tones and what looks like a bit of motion in the leaves. Too bad about the dipper but still a good day.

1 Like

Nice high key effect and excellent depth of field control. I do see a little bit of a greenish cast in the bark which could easily be removed by decreasing the green saturation

1 Like

I like how the leaves are framing the owl. The soft tones/low contrast shows nicely how the owl blends in with its environment. Agree with Shirley, any day you can photograph an owl is a good day! Well done.

1 Like

Hans, the framing of the leaves works well, but what I really find interesting is how the lighter tones overall are quite effective. I think they give the whole thing a slightly dreamy feel.

Max

1 Like

Hi Hans. I don’t know what I was doing that week, but it looks like i missed a lot. This is a wonderful image. The framing of the fall leaves and the position of the owl in the tree are perfect. Beautiful work.

1 Like