Early morning owl

After I hadn’t seen it for months, it suddenly was there again. This Tawny Owl likes to warm in the morning sun. Very hard to see through the foliage though as all the trees still are full of leaves, but I found a spot from where I had a reasonable view. Then I went back a couple of times until the first rays of sunlight fell more or less on the bird, just as I had hoped for.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Nikon Z9 with 500mm f4 | 1/250s | f4 | ISO900 | underexposed 1 1/3 stop | handheld. In postprocessing I cloned out one small stick that obstructed the birds body

1 Like

Very nice. The small viewing window provided a great setting.

I might consider adding just a touch of light to the owl in selective areas (eyes for sure) just to see what it might do to the image.

Excellent, Hans. A great job fining just the right angle and light for this shot. I do agree with Keith that a bit more light on the facial discs would make this image even better. This bird looks amazingly cute for it’s reputation as being a dangerous bird to photograph. Of course that was in the days when you had to photograph from a few feet away.

Really like the framing of the leaves and the light shining on the owl. A little lighter face would be nice… Very cool shot.

I love the framing by both the leaves and that most owl-worthy tree hollow. Great shot, Hans!

Hello all, thanks for your remarks. I lightened up the face just a tiny bit, too much started looking unnatural, knowing the species. Curious if you see the difference. Thanks for suggesting @Keith_Bauer and @Dennis_Plank !

2 Likes

A big difference, Hans. Excellent rework.

1 Like