Anybody in there?

Misty morning, so I went for landscapes. But alas, there was too much fog. On my way home I checked on one of the Tawny Owls. Having already some ‘frontal’ shots with the cavity surrounding the bird, I tried for a different perspective, but needed just enough of the bird to have it recognisable. Thanks for viewing and have a nice Sunday, Hans

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does the approach appeal to you or would you prefer the ‘normal’ frontal shot?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D850 with 300mm f2.8 | 1/200s | f2.8 | ISO400 | underexposed 1/3EV | monopod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Certainly a different look at an owl. Compared to the more traditional frontal view, I get more of a sense here that the owl is actually looking at you-taking a peek out of its hole to see who’s out there.

1 Like

Certainly a very different perspective on the owl. It really doesn’t work that well for me though. I just find the space on the left consuming my view. I played a bit with a different crop and a little work to place a bit more emphasis on the owl. Just another option for consideration.

1 Like

Thanks @Keith_Bauer, thanks for thinking along, I think you are right, although when seeing the image full size on my 27" monitor for some reason the leftish part seems much less an issue. That said, the image is indeed better suited when presented vertically, I agree. This would with this image require a considerable crop, of which I am not a huge fan. So only one solution: go back and make another image, in portrait :wink: . Problem with this owl is that it’s extremely shy and only ‘home’ some 1 times out of 20. But. I’ll give it a go. Thanks for taking time top work on the image. Cheers, H.

Hi Hans
I think Keith’s re-cropping helps to bring the viewers eye to the Owl. I also believe shots like this are why we go out to photograph nature and post them for critiques. Keep up the good work Hans.
Peter

I love the idea here. It’s really creative. It works better for me than it does Keith, but I’d prefer a little less room below and a little more above the bird, I think. I could see coming in a little from the left, but I like the unusual comp.

1 Like