Love in the Surf

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Looking for some initial reactions to this image when first viewing it. Any thoughts come to mind as to what may have gone on in the moments prior to seeing this?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Witnessing the thousands of Elephant Seals frolicking on a California beach is an incredible sight to behold. The huge bulls battle with each other to win mating rights with the females. This image is of one male who may have found a mate and seems to be feeling affectionate with her in the incoming surf. It’s moments like these that has me coming back to this beach year after year.

Technical Details

Image shot at f/6.3, 1/200 sec at ISO 640
Focal length 600mm on 1.6x crop sensor camera (equivalent to 960mm focal length)
Minimal processing using Lightroom, with adjustments for exposure, shadows and highlights and subject masking.

Specific Feedback

More than any specific technical feedback, I would like to know what emotional impact this image has on the viewer.

Sweet, protective and caring are the first thoughts that came to my mind, Ted. Nice capture.

1 Like

I’m having a nice mix of cute (the cuddling pose) with humor (the splashing wave), from this excellent view. With the humor coming from anthromorphism.

2 Likes

Gentle and loving. I love the light on the female in particular.

1 Like

Thanks Linda. While your feelings may be appropriate given this image, I can tell you that many times the large males can appear to be very aggressive to the females. You wouldn’t know it from this photo though.

1 Like

Thanks Mark. I always thought this photo was kind of amusing.