Lupine in Western Maine Mountains

A favorite season of mine when the Lupine begin to bud and colorful fields of purples and pinks blanket the mountains.

Specific Feedback Requested

any feedback is welcome

Technical Details

camera Nikon D500
lens Nikon 500mm F/5.6
exposure - 1/500 sec, F/5.6, ISO450, manual mode

1 Like

That’s a very nice comp, Norma. The lupine are nicely focused and the background is perfectly blurry and soft. Terrific.

Lupines are so wonderful and vary so much in color that they’re hard to resist. Colors and light look very natural here. Focus looks good although I wish there was more DOF. I also wish you’d stepped slightly to the left for this. You could have isolated the new buds a bit better and hidden the pink flowers directly behind the one on the left that seems to be your main subject. Also a bit more room on the right would have let that stem be fully in the frame. It is hard though with fields of flowers like this - hard to isolate and to know when to cut off the scene. Moving around is key although it is time consuming.

Thank you Kristen, yes it is hard to catch them with wind blowing and being so cramped in the field. I do appreciate you taking the time, I think I may have some more space on the right. Maybe I will work on it and post a new version with your suggestions.

Love that pink color Norma. The cone shapes of the flower heads are great subjects.

I’m assuming since you were shooting with the 500 that it wasn’t an option to pull those dead branches out of the way? (I think I would have preferred the image without them if given the choice.)

1 Like