Maine Coast Sunrise

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

The impact of those colors, which as we all know, lasts for a very short time!

Always open to someone else’s view

Creative direction

the idea was to capture the light not only in the sky but also the rocks - too bad the sun was behind the rocks on the right - will try to get there at a different time of the yea for that sunburst. Fortunately the tide was right!

Specific Feedback

nything counts - ? saturation, exposure

Technical Details

I believe I exposed a slightly long exposure - 1 sec. rest is standard - a single image

Description

Went to Nubble Lighthouse first and got a half decent shot. Then rushed to get to this place - 8 minute drive away followed by a somewhat treacherous path down to the sea - the weather was cooperative fortunately - not so icy

1 Like

Good morning Karl.

That is a beautiful shot. I love shooting that short lived glow on landscapes. Its just so satisfying. The larger rocks make nice leading lines and the small rocks inbetween really drew my interest. Also that color transition from the blue to the pink in the water is really spectacular. On the critique side, although i like the feel of the sunlight on that cliff i think it unbalances the shot a bit, I wonder about cropping in from the upper left and still retaining some of it, but more in balance with the rocks on the right.

Karl, you have captured a beautiful scene here. The soft hues throughout the photo in contrast with the dark rocks make for an intriguing image to my eyes. Then, there is also the sunlit massive cliff on the left side. The leading lines clearly take us to the horizon. I like the saturation here. The light is beautiful, but I can’t deny my eyes wandering back and forth between the two bright zones on the right side versus the cliff on the left. I agree with @Cameron_Wilcox and would follow his suggestion to see what results that would produce. I think there would be less competition between the two bright areas. This is indeed a gorgeous sunrise, and you captured it well.

Krl, I applaud the image as well, especially for the terrific light. I cropped from the bottom and the right and opened the shadows on the right with a darks 4 mask in PS. I also added a bit of clarity. Generally, I’m a fan of smooth water, but here the smooth water conflicts with the texture of the rocks in the FG. Just a thought. The colors are great. You are rewarded for getting up early.

Thanks @Egídio , @Cameron_Wilcox and @Larry_Greenbaum

I do agree that it is unbalanced. I took a little off the top, right and bottom since I feel that that the story revolves around that light on the cliff. I also brightened the darker rocks using the Lights/darks in TK9

1 Like

Karl, these are nice edits you did.

It would be great to keep the original photo side by side with the edits, as most users do. That way, everyone can see what you have done in comparison to the original photo. You can easily add back the original photo by editing your post as you did with the revised photo. In the title, most people tend to add “rework” or “re-edit” (or something along those lines) so that viewers can spot right away that there will be more than one photo. You can also add a line before or after the photos to identify them.