Male Cheetah, Hwange NP Zimbabwe

Hi all,

New member, first post and looking forward to becoming part of the community. Thought I would lead with something that I think works well, but would appreciate any constructive comments. This is an image of a male cheetah resting with its kill (a young male kudu) that we came across in Hwange National Park in Zimbabwe last month.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all . . .

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and all . . .

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

560 mm, 1/500, f/8, iso 1250, zero crop, minimal processing in ACR

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Chuck and welcome to the forum.
Really goodimage, very strong. For me the muted colours of the tree perfectly frame the cheetahs face…and the blood! that adds so much to a great image of a predator.

Hi Chuck ! Welcome to NPN!
Nice close up and that line of blood adds so much to the image. If you like you may burn the bark in the foreground.

Thanks guys. And excellent suggestion Jagdeep, will give it a shot.

What a handsome cheetah. As the blood dripping from his mouth reminds me, sometimes beauty is deceiving. Great story telling image! I agree that darkening the foreground tree trunk would make him stand out even more.

Chuck: the cheetah is very nicely framed by the tree and the drip of blood tells the story without the need to see the kill. I would consider burning the foreground tree and maybe doing some selective sharpening of the cat as it appears a bit soft when enlarged. Richard

Thanks Richard, I will look into the sharpening since I do want to print this out enlarged at some point.