Male Resplendent Quetzal

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My second day in Costa Rica was mostly spent trying to photograph these birds. It was made far easier by a program developed by a couple of brothers named Mike and Eric. They have figured out how to build artificial nesting cavities for this species that actually get used. Then they approach local landowners with the right habitat otherwise and set up some nest cavities. If and when they get used, they will take birders and photographers under supervision to view/photograph them. They charge for this and the proceeds are shared with the landowner. The particular landowner where this was taken apparently is really getting into this. He’s built a large viewing shelter closed on three sides with a kitchen area, power, running water and flush toilets. Since this tends to be an early morning activity, the brothers even make coffee!

This is a quadruple win program as far as I can see.

This is an interesting image in one way. This bird has already lost it’s main tail plumes. While the birds are about pigeon size or smaller, their two main tail plumes can reach over 2.5 feet in length. Being cavity nesters, they don’t last long in an intact condition. But they only need to last long enough to get a female. In a way, this was lucky as the rest of the body is usually very small in the frame if you manage to get the long tail plumes in the frame as well.

Specific Feedback

I brought the lichen down a fair amount and the red of the breast up to emphasize it. Too much? Too little?

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 @ 600, tripod, f/6.3, 1/200, iso 4000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped from a horizontal to 3314x4452. Noise reduction in DxO PureRaw 4. Taken February 16th at 6:15 a.m. local time.

P.S. When I photographed this species two years ago none of the AI noise reduction programs worked on that hairdo-they all messed it up. Progress is wonderful!

4 Likes

Beautiful colors and fine detail Dennis. What a striking bird! I’m not familiar with this species so I can’t say how realistic the red is. This is a very pleasing image with the tropical-looking perch, BG and bird. Outstanding.

What a super pose you got. And I like the soft bg and color contrasts. Superb texture throughout and the highlight on the chest with the ruby shading is so striking. No wonder they have to work so hard for the ladies if they look this good in the off season. Only one oddity I see is down by the tips of the tail feathers - some haloing or smudging that follows the contour of the feather. seems a trifle odd, but may have come from the NR action. Keep these fabulous photos coming. I’ve never been down to that country, so am living vicariously.

I have nothing to add but it’s a beautiful shot.

Another stunning shot of an amazing looking bird, the detail is incredible! Nice work Dennis! :clap:

The colors and detail really pop on this beautiful bird. Great capture.

What a wonderful little creature! Great shot!

It’s funny how the lichen remind me of algae. It certainly is very aesthetic perch.

I think you did a great job toning them down and the red of the breast stands out beautifully.

Costa Rica is an incredible place. What’s the species called btw?

@LauraEmerson Pharomachrus mocinnois the scientific name. The common name is Resplendent Quetzal in english.

Resplendent indeed! :slight_smile:

This is a super rare bird, Dennis and the fact that you got this on a very nice branch with lichen and a pretty decent background is sensational. I love the program you mentioned in your opening. This really is a win win for everyone and it brings these little beauties to areas where people who are interested can actually see and photograph them. Your trip has proven very successful!