Mangrove Lagoon

I just got done processing this one and I really like it. I don’t know why. Will my excitement last? Who knows. But I want to share it while I still feel this way about it.

It’s not an intimate, nor is it grand. I don’t know what it is. Just call it grand, I guess.

D810, Tamron 24-70@50mm, iso 64, f/16, 1/20 sec, TK sharpening.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I really like this. The reflection is great with its wispy clouds and the other elements nicely frame it. No suggestions here.

1 Like

I opened this expecting mangroves, but was rewarded with clouds, reflections and neat land forms. Well done.

1 Like

Igor, I think this image worked out really nice. It has a wonderfully natural and inviting feel for me. You did a nice job setting this comp in 1/3rds and those clouds and reflections worked out great. It is very pleasing to view! Nice!!

1 Like

Very nice, Igor. I like the comp, the pano presentation and the simplicity of the elements, well done.

1 Like

Igor,

I really like this too - Have you figured out why you like it yet? The far shore, the spit and the leggy, wispy clouds all support the pano format you’ve presented. Works beautifully and processed quite naturally. Well done!

Lon

A lovely panoramic composition. All the different landmasses seem to be floating. I love the similarity between the sky and its reflection in the water. I can clearly see why this one excited you so much.

Not entirely. And I like it that way. Frankly, that’s what I like about photography. I don’t know where the feelings come from and when I do, then they often diminish. That’s how it works for me.

The reason I took this image is due to the repeating wispy cloud reflections in the water. But what got me excited last night was the discovery of how important that intruding left sand bank was to the image. Take it away and the image gets boring. By reasoning it would seem that it should be removed, it’s a nothing. So, I don’t understand it but it feels more right with it than without it. That’s how I get my kicks.

This one isn’t getting a good response on the internet. I knew it wouldn’t because it’s just water and sand and brush. People want to see recognizable places that they can go and see. Destinations or places they’ve been. As we spoke before intimates don’t work for the general public that well.

I have a friend from childhood, that appreciates art, who told me that it somehow feels Russian to her - melancholy. That really surprised me. Does any aspect of this look melancholy? You never know when part of you enters an image, without knowing it.

Igor, this one required a bit of studying for me to come to a conclusion! At first I was unsure of the land mass on the left but the more I studied it I find it interesting and the image would be a bit boring without it. It’s refreshing to stretch from the norm and this scene does a nice job of that!

I like the general softness of color and the wisps of cloud in the reflection. The image is not dramatic, but it does speak to a certain melancholy, and quiet mood. I think the sand spit adds a nice bit of tension. The pano crop works nicely, here.
-P

Just enlarging this on my monitor brings out a lot more than the smaller size originally presented. The reflections on the water become much more prominent. I like it.

Given the somewhat pano crop, I assume you purposely left the little bit of exposed sand/gravel on the left. Personally, I find that one element distracting.