"Shrouded"

This image is all about mist and reflections. I find it tranquil and subtle, but with a number of interesting elements that hold the eye and keep me wanting to explore the scene. Very interested to hear feedback and critique, from the use of panorama, cropping, framing, and any technical suggestions.

IG: @griffinbarnett

3 Likes

It is a very pleasant and intriguing image. Somehowm I feel the tree a bit too close to the edge of the scene, maybe a little more space on the right - if it was possible - would have added more balance.

This is a wonderful image, Griffin. I agree with you, there is so much to look at. The island emerging out of the fog, the textures of the forest, the absolutely gorgeous little tree on the right for scale and the colour palette as a whole, lend this scene a sense of profound tranquility. My only - only - complaint is that it is a panorama. Take it with a grain of salt, I may have a bias against panoramas. The thing about a panorama is that it accentuates the horizontality of an image. And this makes this image feel to me, overly stretched. The left hand side doesn’t hold that much interest for me and I have this urge to pull up on the top of the frame to open up the sky - it feels strangely cramped. That little tree on the right has enough visual mass, I think, such that you could crop quite a bit from the left - but it would be perfectly understandable to me if you weren’t so inclined.

1 Like

Thanks Antonello - totally agree about adding more space to the right side of the frame, as the tree there does seem a bit too close to the edge.

Kerry - really appreciate this detailed feedback. I also struggled with framing/cropping and it has been hard for me to make a choice and stick to it in terms of potentially reducing or reframing the scene. Thanks!

Griffin,
First off I love the mood here; makes me wish I had been there to soak in the atmosphere. The fog is sublime and I love the soft delicate pastels in the scene as they do impart a sense of tranquility that you already mentioned. I actually like the pano format, but I think I would crop some from the left and add a little canvas to the right side as @Kerry_Gordon already mentioned. I hope you do not mind, but here is a rework with what I was thinking. This is beautifully done.

1 Like

Thanks Ed - I think your crop is right on… thanks for taking the time to comment and for preparing this version!

A tranquil image anchored by the tree at the right. To experience tranquility I need space. Space to breathe in, space to let my gaze wander, take in the image, no jarring elements, simply glide within the frame. I sense mystery in the large, “low frequency” space in the left, providing counterweight to the obvious anchor, the tree at the right edge. I am pleased that the tree is close to the edge; the position creates some tension.
So I begin my journey at the left where I sense mystery and tranquility. Then I glide across the horizon and stop to try to understand what the solid mass in the centre is all about. Before I can find an answer I am drawn to the source of the tension to the right. I have to be careful not to slide off the image since there is much to mediate about within the frame.
I appreciate the space and opportunity the images gives me to hang around and contemplate.

Griffin, Welcome to NPN. Like the others who have commented, I think you image evokes a lot of mood. The fog is a significant element. I think that @Ed_Lowe’s crop and extension of the canvas on the right is perfect for the image. This is my first year with NPN; I find it most instructive and beneficial in improving the way I see, capture, and edit images. I look forward to seeing more of your images.

Griffin, welcome to NPN, this is a very intriguing image. Here is another vote for the direction of changes suggested by @Kerry_Gordon, and the rework of @Ed_Lowe. I think adding a small amount of breathing space to the right of the tree makes it more powerful as a source of tension in the image. I also sense both mystery and tranquility in the image, and the crop from the left does nothing to diminish either of those factors for me. In fact the crop enhances those feelings for me. If the far left side had trees more visible through the fog, then I could see your original presentation working better. I think really long panos need more visual interest throughout their entire length, and for my taste the dense fog on the left was not adding much to the visual interest overall. There is plenty of negative space on the right in both the sky and water to generate a sense of tranquility. Thus the negative space on the left was not needed to create that sense of tranquility (for me anyways).

Welcome aboard and an excellent image. Great mood and scene. I like what @Ed_Lowe posted, I find them good changes. I look forward to more of your work and reading your insights into the work of others.

Thanks Vartkes - really appreciate these comments - glad you were able to experience the image in the manner I had intended!

Many thanks Larry - appreciate the comments!

Thanks for these comments Ed!

Thanks for these comments Harley!