"Lethologica"

Nikon D5200 with Tamron 70-200 mm f/2.8 lens; 70 mm, f/8, ISO 100, 1/50 s

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Curious to hear any thoughts on composition, particularly cropping, or any other post-processing or other artistic choices.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

IG: @griffinbarnett

This image is simple yet very pleasing to see. The limited color palette works really well here. I am leaning towards something more panoramic, maybe a 16:9 crop and I think I would probably apply some Orton effect on the lower right corner area where the fog thins out and the water starts having more clarity. It rather pulls my eyes away from the distant shore line which is so lovely to see. Also have you considered giving a little bit of definition to the fog? TK Dehaze is quite useful for this purpose.

Moody and mysterious; I like this Griffin. My thoughts pretty much echo those of @Adhika_Lie. Glad you were there to capture this scene for the rest of us.

Adhika - thanks for these processing and cropping suggestions. I’ll definitely play around with these ideas and follow up.

Thanks Ed - appreciate the comment!

So I did a bit more processing based on your suggestions, and wondering what you think of this version.

Wonderful misty minimalist image, Griffin. I would consider cropping crop the bottom a little below the forest reflection, as there just seems to be too much negative space there. I understand it looses the symmetry, maybe crop the top an equal amount to keep it. In my minds eye I see a canoe with a trapper paddling in this scene. Very nice.

1 Like