Maple Divided

Critique Style: Standard

The photographer is looking for thoughtful feedback on the image as a whole, especially around the areas noted below.

Feedback Focus: Artistic / Expressive

About This Image

More playing around with fall colors and layer blending modes in PS. I’ve noticed that the subtract and divide blending modes can produce some interesting effects since they give color differences as the output. This one had kind of a swirled orange/yellow/green base layer and the typical red/yellow/orange maple leaves as the top layer. When I combined the two in the “divide” blending mode it produced these mostly blue and purple leaves on a white background (solid white until I toned it down). There were some holes in the leaf pattern around the edges, so I used the transform function to scale up the leaf layer to fill them.

Feedback Requested

I know the composition is pure chaos, but does chaos work at all in this case or does it need a bit more organization. Does it hold your attention past a casual glance?

Technical Details

Blur layer: Rotated while shutter open then further blurring in LR.

Camera: SONY ILCE-7RM5
Lens: FE 70-200mm F4 Macro G OSS II
Focal length: 200mm
Shutter speed: 1s
Aperture: f/22
ISO: 50

Leaf Layer:

[image]

Hi
Its unusual in a Jackson Pollock sort of way,
Maybe darken a little so the colours come through rather than just the brightness and high key.

PS and blend modes are always interesting and produce abstracts with the unusual colours and their inverses

I like it … but not sure enough for my wall :open_mouth:

Regards

Huw

Dennis, my reaction is similar to Huw’s, an interesting Jackson Pollock type look at these leaves with a few scattered branches.