Marooned

This image was from a recent first ever trip to New Hampshire. The leaves falling from a nearby Maple and seeking refuge on this partially submerged boulder caught my eye. I am intrigued with the textures, lines and colors.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Since image, ISO 200, f11, 1/13s, 90mm

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Alan, I quite like this simple scene. I would consider cropping off the right side, approaching the leaves with a good margin. I find my eye tends to drift to the empty zone and the crop tightens up the comp . A nicely understated image.

1 Like

Less is often more, and this image works well for me because of it’s simplicity. It’s a nice bit of seeing here on your part to find this. I like the various contrasts present in the image, the warm/cool colors, the wet/dry rock, and the dark/light areas. I agree with @Harley_Goldman about a crop from the right, as long as you retain some of the deep black shadows in the LRC. I also think your processing of exposure/contrast/color looks great, the image has a very crisp and clean feeling to it.

I like this very much as presented. But if you wanted a second, completely different interpretation of this image, you may want to also consider veering into the direction of photo-art too. Here is an idea for thought, with TK Orton Effect applied at 100%, I like what this does to the leaves. This also reflects a potential crop to either image.

2 Likes

@Harley_Goldman thanks for stopping by and offering your thoughts. Both you and @Ed_McGuirk confirmed my uncertainty about the space on the right.
Ed, I really do like the Orton Effect that you applied, different but very effective! It’s nice to have choices.

Alan,

Great find and even better capture and presentation! I’m loving the somewhat unique combination of rock, water and autumn leaves. I was also thinking about cropping off the right a little even before reading the comments. I think you can still have the look and understanding that the rock is submerged, so I don’t think anything is lost by cropping, but you gain a little with the tighter comp.

I think this is wonderful as capture, processed as presented. Ed does show that there can always be options and alternatives, but I think what you’ve got here is a stand alone winner!

Lon

@Lon_Overacker thank you for the comments. This was one of my favorite intimate scenes from the trip to NH. @Ed_McGuirk gets a very big assist for his local knowledge, letting me tag along and the fact that he ordered up some great conditions for our 2 1/2 days of non-stop shooting! Maybe the most productive few days I have had anywhere!

Like this very much as is, Alan. The deep reds of the maple leaves stand out nicely against the dark blue ground, their delicacy contrasting beautifully with the ruggedness of the rock. Don’t think I would change anything myself.