Mars, Milky Way and Jupiter

While far from technically perfect this might be my favorite image from 2018 just because of the experience. Mars is toward the LLC just peeking over the headland and Jupiter is toward the URC. This particular evening I was all alone in the dark while listening to the tide roll the cobbles around on Little Hunters Beach. It was a blast and I hope to head back in June to do a redo and possibly try some star stacking for some less noise.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 17 mm, f 2.8 @ 30 sec, ISO 3200, cable release & tripod

Beautiful, Ed. I’m sure there is some room for improvement, but I can’t suggest it.

THIS NEEDS TO BE VIEWED IN A DARK ROOM!!!

Once I turned the lights off this image sucked me right in and I could feel the experience. Very well done.

Sounds like a terrific experience, Ed, a quiet evening with the rocks rattling from the tide (that’s one of my favorite memories from visits to Acadia and points further north and east). The star field here is outstanding with both Mars and Jupiter showing well. The lighthouse(??) on the distant shore and it’s reflection are a fine additions as well. My limited knowledge suggests that to do star stacking, you need a clock drive on an equatorial mount, otherwise the stars don’t overlap in the multiple images. If you know different, I’d like to know because night skies are a favorite of mine.

Thanks for taking a moment @Dennis_Plank and @Mark_Seaver and leaving a thought; much appreciated.
@Mark_Seaver : I have just started looking into it myself. If you have a Mac the software is Starry Landscape Stacker; for Windows there is a program called Sequator. The basic idea is to shoot 10 images at 10 seconds each at ISO 6400 and the software stacks the images and has less noise than if you shoot at 25-30 seconds. For a more detailed explanation check out Adam Woodworth’s website at www.adamwoodworth.com. I hope thaat helps.

1 Like