Mast Year & repost

Highlights reduced via several combined methods including the Nik polarizer.

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Where I live the only oak species is Garry Oak, also known as Oregon White Oak (Quercus garryana). It does not set acorns at all regularly though some stands are more reliable than others. People were speculating that this might be a bumper crop months ago and it has fulfilled that hope. My wife and I spent some time collecting some to throw out in a couple of areas that need them and I thought a bunch of them might be worth a picture. These were spread on an old green bandanna on our back porch for photographing.

Specific Feedback

I know this is very busy and I tried to make the leaves with attached acorns stand out a bit to become a focal point. Did I succeed? Any suggestions.

Technical Details

Sony A7Riv, FE 70-200 f4 macro @ 70 mm, tripod with ball head, 2 sec timer, 6 image stack @ f/20, 1/10, iso 1000. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to match the container lid I had under the bandanna to contain the acorns.

1 Like

A wonderful collection here, Dennis. I find the composition perfect for a puzzle. The only thought for change is less glare off the multitude of nuts & the leaves. A polarizer maybe of help there or post processing of decreases in gamma in the exposure layer. I use the polarizer in NIK in post processing too for some help…Regardless, a very fine image as is.

Lovely image!! I love the leaves and the caps!

Ours are not falling yet but I’ll try to remember to watch in the next few weeks. I’ve never noticed if the different species coordinate the mast thing in the same years. We have mostly Blue Oak (maybe 80%) and some years walking under the trees is like walking on ball bearings. We also have several Oregon Oaks and Black Oaks – I’ll try watching the acorn crops, although without some decent measurements it would be hard to really tell how much they change year to year. They also get cleaned up pretty quickly by ground squirrels, band-tailed pigeons and who knows whatever else.