Maybe if I yell louder

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

So after Junior squawked a bunch down on the shoreline, it managed to hop-flap up to this dead branch. Still nervous of the big weird thing in the water (me) and absence of parents, it yelled even more from up here. I think it was tired and stressed and that’s what probably made it more awkward than an inability to fly. Granted, it is new at the whole flying thing and doesn’t have nearly the strength it will develop later, but I don’t think it was in danger or terribly vulnerable. Shortly after this, it flew across a stretch of water to a tree behind me. It didn’t stick the landing well, but hung on and had a bit of a preen, still calling for mom and dad.

Yes, their feet really are that yellow. I actually took the saturation and luminance down a bit. When they’re adults, the beaks are the same color. It takes about 4 years for them to get that classic plumage. I was a bit surprised at how dark some of the primaries are. Never realized that in juveniles that before.

Specific Feedback

The wind was pushing me relentlessly and made everything much more difficult, but I think I have decent sharpness and an engaging pose/activity. I vacillated with how much to clean up, but think it looks reasonably natural and wild without being too cluttered. How does the contrast/lighting feel? Clouds created some even, shaded light which is different than the beam of sun it was in when it was on the ground.

Technical Details

Handheld in the kayak

Lr for improvements to color and contrast and a rotation/slight crop. Topaz Sharpen AI to bring out some detail and reduce noise. Lr to massage tonalities a bit more using local masks & adjustments, and crop tighter. Ps to do some judicious pruning.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

A really sweet image of this youngster, Kris. I like the setting and whatever you did to clean it up. It looks completely natural and the lighting in it is excellent. The call in pose and the perch the eagle is on are great. The one thing I really like because I find it so frustrating in these birds is that the eyes have some pop. They have a real tendency to just disappear in to the head in the juveniles.

Very well done.

How Hawkish, Kris. What a great find. You have captured nice “personality” in the bird, using the composition to show off his environment well. The textures in the bird and His/her amazing yellow talons is wonderful. This is one big raptor. Thanks for posting this terrific image.

This is another great juvie eagle image Kris. I love the straight on look its giving you, and the wide open calling beak. Those primaries and feet are great! All set in a wonderful forest. Keep 'em coming.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank, @Larry_Greenbaum & @Ed_Williams - it was so fun spending time with this eagle even if I kept having to paddle backward and all over to stay near it. Darn wind! And yeah the eyes and facial feathers are equally dark and can be frustrating, but I think there was enough light reflected up from the water to keep things nicely visible. They are huge when you get right on them (the foot is nearly as big as my hand) and a bit intimidating even though I wasn’t in danger, really. Still good to have a reminder that we can’t have everything on our terms all the time.

Really great catch Kris. Love the open beak and the eyes do pop mighty fine. Those yellow feet are really something. Nice details and the setting is great. Glad the water was a natural reflector for you. Well done.

Great you were able to get this follow-up – it must have been quite a show! No suggestions except keep going there!

Another title could be, “MOMMY!! HEEELLLP!!!”

Thanks @Allen_Sparks & @Diane_Miller - totally a big baby as they all are at this stage. Having watched several of them in the past few years, I’m used to their yelling and flapping. A few years ago a juvenile tried to do a flap and a turn in the nest and got its wing caught in a branch. Well, you would have thought it got torn from its socket the way it was carrying on. Eventually mom came, junior freaked out more and followed her out of the nest and down behind the tree. Yelled for another 20 minutes. Hilarious.

Love this open-mouth squawking pose!
Really fine detail and environment.