Memphis Zoo Giraffes

Memphis Zoo, two one year old Giraffes interacting with each other. I used photoshop to select the subjects, inverse the selection, and used an adjustment layer to lower the background exposure until it went black.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any/all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any/all

Any pertinent technical details:

Canon 5D Mk IV, Canon 100 -400mm + 1.4 teleconverter = 560mm
1/400 f8.0 ISO 800

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Wonderful interaction, Michael and excellent detail in the subjects. I’m not sure, but I think a touch more canvas above the ears might make the composition even better. The only processing issue I see is that your selection was slightly off on the underside of the right giraffe’s neck. I don’t know the details of your processing, but when I select the subject for something like this, I’ll copy it to a new layer, then I can do anything as sloppily as I want to the background and I won’t hurt the subject. In a case like this, I would just take the eraser tool on the subject layer and carefully remove those little extra pieces the selection picked up. If you don’t have the subject separated, a bit of careful burning to those areas should do the trick.

This is a gorgeous image. Thanks for posting to the Human and Fauna forum, and I look forward to seeing more of your work here.

1 Like

Exceptional image with intimate, loving interaction!
It’s always tempting to crop tightly around such wonderful subjects, but here, I think more room all around would improve this even further- ot at least on the top and bottom, which would be easy.
Enlarging the sides (if you don’t already have the pixels in the original file) would be a little tougher, but Content-Aware would do the trick.
I think you could also brighten and define the eyes a bit more with the “brightness/contrast” and “levels” sliders.
Just love this image !
Sandy

1 Like

This is such a wonderful image, I thought I’d play with it a bit - it’s the first time I’ve done this, and hope you don’t mind.
I added a bit of canvas all around with the content-aware fill, and worked on the eyes to define them more.
This is what I came up with, still constrained to a small image.
IMO, this is a winner in selected online contests, if you’re interested - contact me.
Sandy

Dennis, thanks for taking the time to look and comment. It pays to have some eyes on because I never noticed the selection artifact, I will fix that. Also good suggestion about more space at the top. Thanks, Michael

Sandy,

The interaction is what I love. I will look at the eyes, good suggestion. Thanks for taking the time. Michael

Sandy,

Thanks for the example. I do like the extra space around the composition. Michael

congrats on the WP !!
I was very serious about this being a winner in other select photo contests - let me know if you have any interest and would like some direction. or ideas.
Sandy

This is so precious, and would make a wonderful card. Congrats on being picked for a yearly award. I missed it when it was originally posted.

Congrats Michael–Awesome photo…Jim