Merced River Autumn Scenic

Here’s one from last fall in Yosemite; one that I never finished working on. A composite of sorts and a first for me. First, all the contributing frames are @ 2 seconds, so we’re good there. The final image here is composed of 6 images. 3 vertical pairs manually stitched together - not quite a pano stitch, but manually combined left, right and center. Each pair was also combined manually and here is what I did for the first time. Three vertical frames; each photographed twice. One using a polarizer for full effect (eliminating reflection) and another exposure limiting the polarizing effect. The goal was to be able to see both the reflecting autumn colors AND to see the bottom of the river. I basically manually blended each pair of images to maximize the tree reflection, while keeping the bottom of the river visible. From the 3 resulting frames, I then manually combined for the horizontal stitch (there was quite a bit of overlap, so I didn’t get the width I was looking for.

whew. Anyone follow that?

Comments, critiques, suggestions always welcome.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

For reference for anyone curious or following. Note the trees reflect better on the left, and the distracting reflections at the bottom are mostly gone in the second frame. both these minimally processed in ACR for illustration.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Colors, processing? too warm?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any - does this work? Even without knowing any processing details?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
see above.

Nikon D800E, Nikon 24-85mm @26mm, f/16, 2s iso 200 +polarizer

2 Likes

Phew, exactly. I follow it precisely. My problem is whenever I try to combine more than two or three photos with another series for a different reason, like combining focus stacking and exposure bracketing, or focus stacking and HDR, when I get home and open them on my computer I have no idea what the various photos are. I’ve tried to develop a hand signal code (to mark the first of the series), but then I can’t remember the code. Anyway, well done. Your officially not demented yet!

1 Like

Truly a wonderful scene, Lon. I followed your processing ideas, to a point both field takes and PP, but they’re above my pay grade for ability as a film shooter. I’m sure all of this processing work is exactly what has made this look a bit unique in the end…:+1::+1:
If I had a change to make I might bring the brightness / glare down slightly using the center green bush as a point to work from. No nit, just some thoughts for review…:thinking:

1 Like

Quite an amazing process and description, just a bit too advanced for some of us, but helpful to know this is possible. I really like the finished product, the rocks at the bottom of the stream merging with the tree reflections are just superb. The sky is reflected in only one area, the lower left corner, and I might consider burning it for consistency. Not too warm for me, just right on the temperature for my taste. Really lovely image.

Thanks Tony - I hear ya! Fortunately for this one I just had to remember that I shot 2 frames, one polarized, the other not. then moved the camera for the next pair… Wasn’t to hard to figure back on the PC. However, I know what you mean and it can get frustrating. I do use the technique of holding my hand out and taking a picture with 2, 3, 4 fingers, indicating the next number of images will be focus stacked. Of course it only works up to 5… :roll_eyes: Sometimes I might also confirm in ViewNX 2 and check focus points (if recorded.) Otherwise, it’s a crap shoot and yeah, sometimes hard to remember once you get home…

Brilliant, Lon. I would have never thought of this. And it’s processed so well that you can’t tell what part came from where. As I understand it only the tree reflections came from the left image.

Aside from all that this is a really fine image.

Wow! That’s quite an eye opener for me - big process from planning it out to processing. The end result looks great. Clean reflections and bottom of river. Great work :raised_hands:

I like this quite a bit, Lon. I might crop just a smidge off the top to further emphasize the reflection, but pretty minor. Excellent job on the processing and the image.

Lon, I’ve done both aspects of your process, just not at the same time. Two exposures to control brightness then combined into a pano. I’ve also done the polarized/unpolarized combo to get the water reflections that I wanted. Your combined result works very well, especially at letting you see through the water. The view here is outstanding with the strong trees and their reflections mingling clearly with the rocks at the bottom. Congrats on a great job of mixing the tree reflections and the water transparency (a careful use of luminosity masks??). The scene is beautiful, quiet, and inviting

Wow. I have nothing to add. Your technique resulted in a truly rich image.

Thanks again everyone, @Igor_Doncov, @Ynez_Slaymaker, @Harley_Goldman, @Mark_Seaver and @tim_floyd.

Looking back, I hope this is something I remember in the field the time the opportunity arises. I have several scenes in mind I’ve photographed over the years that perhaps could be approached this way.

Igor - that’s correct. Here’s the base masking. Pretty basic and very rough painting. As long as you’ve prepped the RAW files and original exposures are all close enough, it’s literally a very simply painting job on a mask. Then image flattened and continued fine tuning in PS and stitching.
Untitled-1

Mark, thanks for mentioning. Another approach would be to stitch together all the polarized and then non-polarized files, then blend those together. another option to keep in mind. Thanks!

Lon, really nice to see this image selected as an EP especially with regard to the technical ideas being applied as well as the fine results from the entire process. A really fine scene here too…:sunglasses: