Autumn on the Merced +RP

Reworked image based on Ben’s suggestions: thanks Ben!

My comments below in the thread on edits.

Although Yosemite isn’t known for blazing fall color, it is there. And this last November was an exception year for the valley. This trip as I mentioned previously, was wet and dreary; but you wouldn’t know it was drizzling rain while I capturing this scene

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

My goal for most of my images is the “make them the best that they can be.” I like a little pop, contrast, etc. - but one runs the risk of going too far and making in not believable. Mostly looking for that feedback.

The seasonal aspect of the image is the story, so not much else that I’m trying to say here.

I’ve been modifying/adding to my workflow to include smart object layers taking back in to ACR and Topaz IA, as well as usual editing, cloning work, masking ,etc. in PS.

Thanks for any and all comments and feedback.

Technical Details

Nikon D800E 28-300mm, @68mm, f/14 1.3s iso 400, probably a polarizer

2 Likes

What quickly came to my mind was how you interspersed the splashes of warm hues amongst the ‘darker’ greens in a regular fashion. Warm-cool-warm-cool-warm-cool. This is reinforced with the tree trunks which also follow the same rhythm. I think that regularity gives the image balance and structure. This is a classic Overland nature scene in both color intensity and composition. And even subject matter, in a way. Well done.

You’re right, it doesn’t look drizzly at all. It seems like there are a thousand shades of green in the forest! I also like how the other colors pop against the background and of course, the masterful composition.

This is a beautiful woodland scene Lon. It has such a striking mix of greens with a splash of autumn.

Hey Lon, I really enjoy this image! I took it in to PS to have a play with it just to see what it would look like warmed up a little bit and with some mid-tone contrast added. It takes it in a different direction for sure. Much more vibrant, like the forest is ready to come to life. Not better, just different. I think your processing here probably matches the mood of your trip based on your descriptions and should probably be left as is. It is like the forest is settling in for a long winter nap!

Thank you @Igor_Doncov , @Bret_Edge , @Eva_McDermott and @David_Wallace for your comments . Very much appreciated.

So interesting all the time to learn how we all see things. Honestly, the whole time I was working on this one, I never considered the greens. Mostly concerned about representing the autumn colors (yellows, reds, oranges) and not going overboard with them. But you’re right! The greens are plentiful and varied!

David, I did open the master again and took a look at warming a bit - and it looks pretty good! Again, something I hadn’t considered. I may post that one a little later, although the changes are subtle.

thanks again!

Ooh, I like. I love the soft subtle tones and colors of this forest shot. I tend to process a lot of my forest scenes this way, so you won’t get any suggestions from me on color. I think this defiantly expresses the seasonal story for me. The shades of yellow can also represent spring, but the oranges in the leaves on the trees and on the ground certainly represent fall. Good separation. You got a winner, Lon.

1 Like

Lon, Your image brings me to this peaceful forest of color in a balanced composition . Maybe you can make those black branches a little lighter ,and take out the small black branch next to the tree on the left.

Hi Lon, this is a very beautiful image of a fall woodland and I like it quite a lot! To me, it really tells the story of autumn in the forest and what a magical time it is.

You have a very solid composition – I love all of the perfectly placed tree trunks (all with a different texture) with ideal and not over the top processing. Lastly, the rocks at the bottom of the frame really help anchor the image.

Excellent work for sure!

A really nice take from autumn in the valley. Getting real picky, I would second @Ben_van_der_Sande 's recommendations, but otherwise, it looks spot on to my eye. Good one.

Thank you again folks, @Donna_Callais , @Ben_van_der_Sande , @Tom_Nevesely and @Harley_Goldman . Appreciate the comments!

Ben, Harley, thank you for the feedback and suggestions! I’ve reworked and posted above. I think the “branch on the left” was actually a vertical trunk correct? At least that’s what I’m assuming. I cloned out both darker trunk left and right. And by the “black branches” I’m also assuming the main one culprit to be the very dark vertical trunk of the dogwood. I went ahead with an old standby TK’s Dark’s Triple play to globally bring up the deepest blacks - and then mask/paint just around the dark branches/trunks you were suggestion.

I also applied a wee bit of burn in the LR area as it seemed a little bright.

Great feedback to improve this one! Much appreciated.

1 Like

@Lon_Overacker , Lon, what a great idea to use the TK darks triple play. I can use it in my next image . Thank you

Lon, the variety of subtle colors looks terrific. Many years ago a fall colors trip to Vermont demonstrated how good overcast and drizzle are for catching fall colors (provided you can keep the solid “white” sky out). The scattering of vertical trunks are well placed.

Thanks Ben - glad to hear you might use the TK TP on an image. I don’t use it all the time, but glad it’s in my tool box!

Hey, can you tell me if my edits addressed your comments? I think so, but not sure, you didn’t comment. :slight_smile:

Thank you Mark for the comment. And I’m glad you mentioned the “white” sky. This is slightly cropped up top for a number of reasons, but in the orginal there were “white specs” showing through the trees. It wasn’t sky, but a bright granite backdrop (in the direction of El Cap actually). And I spent a good portion of time addressing those highlights; via cloning, but also making blue highlights, masks and layers to drop the brightness and saturation to further reduce those little tiny gaps in the trees. I mean there’s only so much cloning one can do - or just not worry about it. But your comment and observation is spot on for this scene.

Yes ,Lon, It’s what I meant, especially removing that small dark branche. Also the lighten of those branches what is difficult to say how much. I work on an iMac and an Eizo monitor both calibrated, but on both is the light or dark different even the color.Therefore I trust the Eizo monitor and hope it comes out well on all those different monitors by the members on NPN who wish to give comments or critiques.
My next image will have also darker branches. So I am curious !

Ben

1 Like

Lon, just seeing this as I have been away for a while but I just had to let you know how much I love this image. Lovely tones throughout in this image Lon and completely believable. You could even go further with pushing the colors but I love the muted tones you have here. This is really well composed as well. You could perhaps crop a little bit off the right side as the entire image feels so lively and then the right side falls a little bit flat but that’s the only nit I have for the image. I even like the darker tones/branches that you removed but that’s just me. If I was to remove anything it would be the green branches poking in on the left side particularly that one near the top. Stunning image, Lon! Yosemite and the surrounding area did you well this past Fall and Winter. Congrats

1 Like