Autumn Ornaments

Here’s another from my recent autumn/winter trip to Yosemite. This technically is not in the park and along the Merced river canyon near El Portal. I say autumn cause that’s part of what is capture with this image, plus technically it’s still not winter yet. On the other hand just a dozen or so miles to the east, there was a foot and a half of fresh powder waiting for me - winter had come to the valley.

Would love your feedback, comments and suggestions on this simple intimate of autumn colors. And if anyone knows what this plant/bush is please let me know. I know I should know this!

Thank you!

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Processing. Especially interested in color/white balance.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

This work? too simple?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @180mm, f/18, 1/160th iso 6400… What? I looked at this and thought why the heck was the iso so high? I can only figure that I needed to freeze the movement of the leaves? This was close to the road… oh well

There is something beautiful about the scattering of the leaves. You have rendered the yellow and red very very nicely, Lon. That said, I think the green in the BG rather detracts from the image. After thinking about it for a while, I think it’s because the green makes the image less abstract. I am waiting for someone with more processing experience to chime in with suggestions if this is something that can be taken care of in post-processing.

Lon, this is a fine look at a fall shrub. The red seed pods and scattered yellow leaves really do bring to mind, a decorated tree. The touches of green at the top seem appropriate and would be very hard to remove. This shows a really good eye for detail.

I enjoyed this image, a type that I can look at for a long time getting lost in the randomness. The composition and layers of content are well done, with a perfect spattering of yellow. Beautiful.

Works for me. No nits. I love the lines of the branches and the yellow leaves against the red BG leaves.
:vulcan_salute:

Lon, I really am appreciating this intimate colorful scene. Great vision on this one and the colors are handled so well. Perfect title and wonderful spacing of the ornaments.

This looks like nature’s way of making a X-mas tree, Lon. The processing looks just fine to me as the reds and yellows look spot and it makes for a nice color combination. The details of the leaves and branches in the large version are a nice visual treat and lets my eye travel around the frame. Here I go with my horizontal vision, but I could see this with a crop of the greens up top with a little from the bottom. For me that makes the details of the bush even more prominent. Not necessarily better, just an alternate version. Anyway, great eye to spot this.

@Ed_Lowe beat me to it, this looks like an autumn Christmas tree, the timing of your post is impeccable. This is a very engaging intimate, the distribution of the yellow leaves is just about perfect. I also like some of the other small touches here, the band of green at the top to create some color contrast with the red, and the curved branch at the bottom, which breaks up the pattern without being overwhelming. I also like the optical illusion that this bush has two colors of leaves, it’s a mind bender that grabs the viewers attention. Nicely seen Lon, this one to be proud of.

Thank you @Adhika_Lie, @Mark_Seaver, @Chris_Percival, @Alan_Kreyger, @Ed_Lowe, and @Ed_McGuirk for your comments, observations and suggestions.

Good call Adhika. I actually reprocessed and was able to reduce the green/yellows in those areas. I used TK’s color selection luminosity masks to target the specific colors. And when touching the yellow, I simply masked and painted so as to not affect the yellow leaves. The change I think worked, but subtle and didn’t really alter the impression as far as any abstractness.

Lon

1 Like

Looks real good Lon. It does have that Xmas-y look to it. I would agree with you and @Adhika_Lie about the greens, but you have that covered. I have no clue what the plant is. Ask mG+. He knows his plants.