Fall by the River

This is a single image from along the Merced River in Yosemite Valley. I wanted to emphasize the warm fall colors in the last light of the day.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Single image, ISO125, f/16, 24mm, 1/8 sec.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
10 Likes

Oh my. This is beautiful. I like the color cast you chose to give this image. Such a lovely scene. The brighter trees on the right accent the composition. I, personally, prefer trees in late fall foliage like that to all that profusion of color normally shot. This could have looked good with a cooler white balance but I like it the way it is.

This is absolutely beautiful! I just love the warmth in this image.

Kathy,

Oh My! (sorry, same reaction as Igor, plus my sentiments anyway…)

Just gorgeous. I’m so glad you went so we can now enjoy some inspiring images from the valley. I’m heading up on the 8th and I fear most leaves will be gone - but of course won’t deter me from finding beauties like this. Thanks for the inspiration!

Minor note. The darker clump of shoreline in the LLC is noticed secondarily. Not a deal-breaker by any stretch.

Love this Kathy! Can’t wait to return!

Lon

This is wonderful, looks like a painting. I can’t think of anything I would have done differently, thank you for sharing the image.

Wow, this is beautiful indeed! One thing distracts me though and it’s the cutting off of the tree on the upper left area. Not sure how big it was and certainly not condoning cutting it down (you can’t, right? :joy:) but if it was possible to put the camera a little bit lower to the ground and angle it slightly upwards? Maybe that would have included it? And in the process possibly removed the blob on the lower left corner.
But I love the colors and the mood and mostly the reflections. Beautiful!

Excellent, love the rock detail behind the trees it gives the view extra presence.

Absolutely gorgeous, Kathy. I think you accomplished what you set out to accomplish. The warm fall colors, the reflections, this is one excellent image. :+1::+1:

Wow, just gorgeous! You succeeded in showing us the warm fall colors, for sure.

Oh my, I really love this one!! The luminosities and colors are handled so well, the reflection is terrific, and for some reason, that gorgeous wall in the background is the perfect backdrop. Very … nice!!

Beautiful atmosphere and color Kathy. My only nitpick would be the tree on the left that breaks through the top and bottom of the frame- sort of draws my eye that direction.

Kathy,

Wow! Such a stunning pallet of subtle fall colors. It is so warm and inviting and just a joy to look at. The reflection is amazing. I love the stillness of the Merced in the autumn.

Congratulations on a wonderful photograph of the happiest place on earth.

Beautiful and painterly presentation, I really like the warm autumn glow in this one!

Beautiful composition and light. Not really much to critique, other than the lower left corner maybe.

This is just lovely. The color palette is wonderfully subdued, yet powerful. The still water reflections add so much. Very nice composition and capture.

Kathy, This is wonderful. You captured that last light and color beautifully. What a great fall scene!

Kathy, a truly extraordinary photo. I love the almost painterly feel., of the low light catching the trees an reflections, with just enough definition of the background rock. Very nice color blending, Nice balance along the horizon, without true symmetry.