Merced River, Yosemite Valley

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken in late morning as the sun began to clear the valley walls casting soft reflected backlight in the distance while the fore and mid ground remained in even light.

Technical Details

Nikon D800, Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 @86mm, 1/10 sec, f/22, ISO 320

2 Likes

I really like the misty mood of this. The soft backlight is perfect against the overall soft lighting in this shot. Nice balance and composition down the river, and the grass clumps in the foreground add a nice touch.

The soft light imparts a sense of quite and calm. The yellows and oranges provide just enough contrast and interest to keep my attention. Well done.

That soft light is beautiful.

Very inviting and nicely composed. I like the combination of warm and cool tones and the touch of fog in the center.

I am enjoying the peaceful vibe of this beautiful scene, Robert. The soft light and muted autumn colors work perfectly with the light fog. My only suggestion would be a crop of the tree and it’s brown leaves on the left side of the frame as it seems to catch my eye a little. You captured a very nice mood here!

Robert, this is wonderfully peaceful and inviting. I especially like the strip of grasses and their reflections near the bottom. Those make a fine eye catcher with the mist above the river leading into the distance.

Well seen, Robert. I love getting to view images of Yosemite that are beyond the iconic views. there is so much more there than just those! This invites me to sit a while in the soft light and the lower contrast allows so much detail to present itself to my eyes. I love the subtle color palette as well and the light mist provides a bit of atmosphere to the scene. If I were to be super critical, I might suggest a very slight crop off the left, where that tree trunk creates a dark ‘bar’; or, if you had a tad bit more in the original, perhaps a little more included; but as it the image still works very well!

Thank you all for your comments and constructive feedback; I appreciate this community.