Mesquite @ midday

A March afternoon at the Mesquite Dunes. As expected, the dunes were completely trampled, so I tried to find some semblance of a composition that I liked.

I am open to any feedback you’re able to provide. I want to improve!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Single shot, Canon 6D, Sigma 50-500 @ 84mm, ISO 100, F/13, 1/250th.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.!

Welcome to NPN, Gregg! What an interesting image that you share with us here. I think the layering here is very effective. I really like how everything is angled towards the left including the mesquites. I think you can have a little more contrast on the two layers of the dunes at the bottom, tapering off as you get to the horizontal one. Very beautiful and unique interpretation of the infamous dunes!

1 Like

Welcome to NPN Greg! A terrific first post and I’d be hard pressed to say it any better than Adhika, he summed up and expressed my thoughts as well.

You did a great job selecting this comp from what must have been a disappointing outlook. Even still the lower layer isn’t as pristine as you might want, but still the bottom layer has some interesting, almost random detail and I also like the contrast down there.

No nitpicks really. The only thing you might play with is the tonality of the sky. Pretty neutral gray as presented. I’m wondering how it would look going in either direction, brighter or darker? Just a thought.

Look forward to more images and your participation!

Lon

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words Adhika! I appreciate your suggestion and will absolutely play around a bit with the contrast at the bottom!

Lon, thank you as well for the kind words.

As you mentioned, I too wrestled with the “stuff” at the bottom of the image, but ultimately decided that not only was it a natural part of the landscape, it does add a bit of character and contrast to an otherwise flat image. I was glad to see that someone else felt that way too!

The sky…I did mess with going a bit darker before posting, but just couldn’t get it to look right. So I said to myself “duh, you ARE asking for help, maybe someone will suggest something for the sky?”. I’m embarrassed to say that I hadn’t though about going brighter, so I will give that a try when I get some time!

Thanks for the suggestion!