Mink!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was standing at the shore of a lake in northwestern Maine waiting for a loon to swim by when this little guy showed up very close to me. One second later it dove in the water. I did not know they were like small versions of river otters.

Specific Feedback

I experimented with various crops and this was decided upon. Yeah? Oh, and could somebody tell me why this image went from blueish to purplish when posting it here. Itā€™s still blue in photoshop. Weird.

Technical Details

Z9, monopod, 200-500 lens, 1/1600th, f 8.0, 510mm, ISO 10000, cropped to 2937 x 3059, Photo AI

3 Likes

Hello, This is an adorable photo. You captured its surprise as much as yours! I would prefer to see the whole animal but this crop is fine. I love the balance of textures and patterns in the water, fur, and rock. Sorry, I cannot help you with the purple tinge.

Hello Dave, what a great moment you captured! Luck comes to the prepared, and boy were you prepared! I canā€™t help with your ā€˜purpleā€™ question, but I do wonder: is this guyā€™s face a little less in focus than his body? Or maybe Iā€™m seeing an artefact of the JPEG compression? Or is it just my year-old glasses (I am overdue for my next eye exam).

The boldness of this mink really shines, doesnā€™t it? Just like the catchlight in its eyes. Great shot Dave ā€“ very fun!

Great catch! I sure wish I had a download link here, or i might shed some light on the color change. But I donā€™t. Iā€™ll ping the mgmtā€¦

OK ā€“ I see there is a new download link in the LR corner ā€“ much better!! You are not seeing correct colors because the embedded profile is ProPhoto and browsers donā€™t know how to handle it. Always convert to sRGB and embed the profile.

Working in Pro Photo has many pitfalls.

1 Like

It is a mystery to me. I really would like to know how to deal with that. I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Oh what a great catch! While I have seen many mink since moving to WI and even having one or two run under my butt while I sit on the dock steps, Iā€™ve never been quick enough to photograph one. They arenā€™t as aquatic as otters, but most will happily swim and fish and I think most actually dig their burrows on river banks if they can.

From what Iā€™ve seen in another post here, the save as dialogue or export dialogue in Ps has been changed a bit with the newest update and you may have to set it to save as SRGB again rather than what it defaults to.

Are you using Pro Photo RGB as your working space?

No. ā€œRGB colorā€ is what it says in PS.

Where are you seeing that?

And how did an exported JPEG get tagged as Pro Photo?

in PSā€™s Mode in the pull-down Image menu.

What matters is what you have set in the PS Color Settings. That is your working space and is all-important, along with how you export.

What do you have there for RGB Working Space?

Here is mine. I would suggest that anyone who doesnā€™t understand color management should use sRGB. It is the most foolproof. Pro Photo is the most dangerous. It can contain colors that are beyond the range of anything but exceptional monitors and printers, and beyond the range of human vision! You donā€™t want to be pushing colors beyond what you can see and reproduce, because they will be pushed back into gamut beyond your control.

A calibrated and profiled monitor is also important but they are mostly decent these days out of the box.

1 Like

I confess I have never looked at Color Settings. I reset my RGB setting to Adobe RGB (1998) per your settings. Iā€™ll see if that helps. Thanks SO much for your kind assistance.

The question remains as to how the mink got to be in Pro Photo ā€“ that shouldnā€™t have happened. What was the working space before you reset?

Just be sure when you export a JPEG you convert it (from Adobe RGB) to sRGB. (Convert ā€“ NOT assign. That will really mess things up.) Itā€™s also safest to embed/tag the profile, although most browsers will read an untagged image as sRGB.

Setting the working space as sRGB is best if youā€™re not familiar with the pitfalls of color management.

1 Like

I have taken some successful advice from Adobe and hereā€™s the right color of my mink shot. In Photoshop they had me to to The Edit menu and select Convert to Profile and in the Destination Space section choose sRGB IEC61966-2.1 from the dropdown menu then click OK. That did the trick. Thought Iā€™d share

Much better. But thatā€™s a bandaid ā€“ itā€™s but better not to get things in the wrong color space in the first place. A raw file doesnā€™t have a color space so you can always go back and get it right before colors are cemented in.