Mississippi Kite after Preening

Description:

I decided to get more photos of the Mississippi kite in nice, warm early evening light. With a threat of severe weather later on, I drove down to the preserve with ideal light. Kite was not home, clouds moved in and so did the kite–Deja vu! One suggestion from @David_Schoen that I received from my first post was to tighten up the aperture to get more of everything in focus. That I did and the overall scene is much improved. The kite was preening and just finished up with a scratch under the chin and caught it moving its foot back down to the perch.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D500 600mm f4 (1/640 sec at f8.0, ISO 360) Levels, DeNoise, Shadows & Highlights, Brightness & Contrast. I adjusted the opacity of layers used for sharpening and to tweaks in shadows and highlights to produce subtle edits to the image. Cropped the image to 10x8…
Is this a composite? No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Beautiful portrait of a beautiful bird! You really got such nice detail in the feathers! Is this a black and white?

1 Like

This has the sense of reflective pose. Superb detail and I agree that the tightened aperture made a big difference in this image quality. The semi high key effect is beneficial.

1 Like

Hi Jim,
Nice downward looking pose and the DOF is nice in this image. Good details and I like the raised foot. Nice frame.

1 Like

Wonderful! A very different and effective sort of capture. I love how it stands out against the white BG. It’s a small nit but it’s a bit oversharpened. We have effective NR these days, but sharpening lags way behind. Usually the best I can do is with a bit of Texture in raw conversion, or, for larger structures, the old High Pass filter technique in PS.