Moab Butte Sunset

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

The low view of the butte inspired me to get low and make this image. I wonder if the foreground is too dark in particular.

Technical Details

170mm f/8 1/8 sec iso 100

I think you’ve had the right instinct to get lower in this image but the complexity of the ground lying plants isn’t helping, especially some of the grasses being a very bold green color. I have to ask myself ‘what is the distinctive things about the subject and how do I refine them’. For me the distinctive things are the left side of the butte and with that the great sky and then seed heads.

It’s the seed heads that we can have most influence on compositionally and I think you’re in the right position but I would be looking for how the seed heads are ‘layered’ and how the lights and darks are distributed in them. There is some great tonal variation on the three tufts on th left hand side, dark background, light ones in the foreground and mid tone ones just under the butte.

I think I would have looked at excluding everything else (given what I can see in your image) and I can only do so with the information I have by cropping them. I’ve attached a crop.

If you wanted to stick with the composition, which does work, I’d look at trying to emphasize the colors of the items in the foreground that are distinctive and suppress the ‘messy’ bits. I’ve attached another image showing how I’d look at doing this.

Thank you for the review Tim. Appreciate the redo.