Moments in Time

Hi, I’m Jon. New member as of about an hour ago. I rarely get feedback on my images beyond IG and FB, so once I learned about NPN, I knew this was the place for me. I love this image but I’m not sure if there is anything I can do to make it pop a little more…or if it needs it?

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Composition and editing

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

How this image makes you feel. When I made this image, it was a very peaceful evening and I’m working
on trying to better express those emotions with my camera

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D800E
Nikon 16-35mm
4:15 exposure @ f16
ISO 50
6-stop ND and a 3-stop ND

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Lovely color and great use of long exposure.

The image seems a bit tilted to the left for me (horizon not quite level) which counteracts the feeling of calm IMHO. This is exacerbated by the extra weight on the left side of the frame added by the reeds in the water. Simple to fix.

Nice first post!

1 Like

Thank you Thorsten! I totally see that left weight and tilt now. I hadn’t really noticed it before, but this is exactly why I like feedback!

Hi Jon!! It’s a cool first post. I have to say you’ve made a decent job of adding character to a flat landscape. My feedback is two-fold different from what Thorsten mentioned:

• I think overall the image is quite well edited. There appears to be a bit of colour bleed on the transition from darks to lights on the lower third. In the water. I also noticed that on the tree line just left of center that there is quite a strong blue aberration.
  • I terms of composition i would like to have seen the leading line made by the grasses be a little more towards the centre. Almost so it leads you into the lines formed my the clouds. I think that would add balance.

Hope these thoughts help a bit!

1 Like

Thanks so much Eugene! I think one of the things I’ve struggled with in this image is balance. I shot it wide (16mm) because it’s such a wide flat area, and I wanted to get a lot of it in frame. I never really thought of bringing the grass closer to center. It would definitely help a lot and I’ll play around with the idea and repost. Thanks for the tips (on the edits also) and critique

Welcome to NPN Jon! Great to have you here and a terrific, beautiful first image post.

Other than the mentioned tilted horizon (and toss in some barrel distortion too?) I find your processing to be quite nice, spot on actually. The streaking clouds make it for me so I’m less concerned about the reeds - although I would say you have included just enough to know they were important to you, and not an oversight. :wink:

That’s a 4 min exposure? I love what it did to the water.

As far as how it makes me “feel” - I’m one of those that thinks that really, it’s just the photographer who has 100% of the experience and we as the viewer will never get that same experience. Having said that, I do get a very peaceful sense and quietness about this image.

Thanks for sharing and we look forward to more images and your participation!

Lon

1 Like

Great choice on the long exposure! The movement is very impactful and in the sky contrast with the stillness of the water. Just also noticing the slight horizon tilt. Love the image!

1 Like

Welcome aboard and real fine first post. I love the dynamic sky and the look of the water. Give it the rotation suggested above and you have a fine one. You nicely captured the quiet and serene mood of the evening.

1 Like

Hi Lon, thank you for the feedback! That was a 4 min exposure. I played with exposures ranging from :30 to 4:00 and different NDs from 3 to 9 stops. I would have just used a 10, but mine is currently at the bottom of Lake Superior :slight_smile: . I had to drop the iso to 50, which I wouldn’t normally do (usually 100) but it gave me the look I wanted. Thanks again for the feedback!

Thanks for the feedback Jennifer! I’m happy to see that people generally like the image and I should have an easy fix on my hands!

Thank you Harley! I appreciate the feedback!

Jon, welcome to NPN. This is a peaceful, inviting scene. I like the motion in the clouds and the gentle colors both in the sky and in the water. My one thought would be to have taken a few steps to the right to get more of a dynamic balance between the cattails and the vanishing point in the sky. Your processing looks good. A lovely midwestern plains image.

1 Like

Thanks Mark! I will definitely try moving to the right.