Montara Beach

A beach seems like a good candidate for an ‘edge’ between two environments. Most Bay Area residents will recognize this beach even without a title. I had the good fortune to drive by it every day to work. There is usually a morning ‘marine layer’ that burns off around 10 am. This was the magic time to be here, between the fog and the sun. It was often a bit tricky because the fog cleared in patches, so you had to wait until your histogram showed the optimal light distribution. In general, the coastal light in Central California is very friendly to photographers.

5 Likes

A very pleasing beach scene, Igor! Really nice job with composition and exposure and the people on the beach provide some scale for the whole scene.

I love this image. It makes me feel very peaceful…kind of an English countryside but with ocean added :slight_smile: . The curves of the cliff take my eye right through the scene, and the tiny people show how big the landforms really are. Beautiful!

I remember struggling with this composition thinking “Who’s going to want to see that much sand”. But after I got home and looked at it everything seemed to make sense.

Igor: Wonderful light and color palette. Do you know what the flowers are on the near bluff? I think they’re icing on a very nice cake. Top notch image. >=))>

I love beach images with lots of sand, especially when they are composed so well. What also stands out for me is the lack of large numbers of people. A fisherman, three people (with a white dog?) and another person headed for the ocean. The abundance of foot prints indicates a very well used beach. From your comments it must have been shot about 9 or 10 AM. Californians must not get out early which makes it your good fortune. Excellent.

Igor, this is lovely. the big triangle of sand balances well with the textures and colors of the near cliffs. The multiple ridges and touches of cloud on the far ridge create a bit of drama. I think that the tiny people add a critical element of interest.

A classic California scene. Nice use of color, with the warm tones in the foreground, and cooler tones in the background.

Bill, those are ice plants. They are ubiquitous all up and down the California coast. I believe they are an invasive species here.

Jim, this beach indeed is used a lot but primarily on weekends. The far end used to be even a nudie beach in the early 70’s as I recall. Behind me and to the left are a couple of volleyball courts on which I played well beyond the years I should have played.

The overall composition of this image feels like something the expressionists would have painted in France. However, only in composition, because all is sharp.