Moon set over gulf

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All comments are welcome!

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments are welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Single Shot, Sony A7R4, Metabones Adaptor, Tamron SP 150-600mm @ 600mm

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

This is a beautiful image. I have to say this, though, Doug. While the moon is very sexy, I almost wish it weren’t there. For me, what makes this image exceptional is the gorgeous transition from the silhouetted shore up through the amber-gold and back to the black night sky. The silhouetted grass and the hint of moonlight on the water make this a compelling frame. For me, the moon becomes a distraction, drawing my eye to the obvious and away from the compelling subtlety of the shore. I doubt this will be a majority opinion but I thought I’d toss in my two cents anyway :slightly_smiling_face: In any case, nicely seen - one of those moments when we can’t help but feel lucky to be alive.

Thanks for being frank, Kerry. You know, it’s funny. For me, we did all this planning to get out and shoot the full moon as it was getting low to the horizon…and so the shot, in my planning mind, was all about the moon. The foreground & grass & transition … were more incidental during the time I was shooting, and I didn’t give the foreground a whole lot of planning thought. But I actually love the transition zone as well. ( I think the caramel color resulted from the glow over Tampa…and it turned really pretty with the black). So the intent of the photo didn’t turn out to be the highlight. Live n learn :wink:

I think I stand largely with Kerry, Doug, in seeing this image as presenting a wonderful transition from the darkest fg grass through to the horizon line and up - it reminds me then somewhat of a Rothko painting. I might even suggest a crop just below the moon - it becomes then, of course, a different image and one you might well feel not remotely what you were aiming for ( the moon is lovely after all ! ). Or maybe the moon might not be centred ? Whichever way one goes, this has a great mood.