Moonlit Pier

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken at 4:00 a.m. I used The Photographers Ephemeris (app) to plan this shoot when the moon was full and more or less directly at the end of the pier. I haven’t done much night photography, so it was a unique experience. BTW, I was not alone. Several others had done their homework as well! The zig-zag nature of this composition is what I was attracted to.

Specific Feedback

First off, I know there are some star trails. The thing that bothers me most about the image is the roundish lens flare below the moon. If anyone has suggestions on how to reduce or eliminate that, or any other improvements, I’m all ears.

Technical Details

Olympus OMD EM1 Mk II, Olympus 7-14 f2.8 at 9mm, 25 sec at f6.3, ISO 200, tripod (obviously). Processed with Nik Silver Efex Pro, slight burning of the foreground, Topaz Denoise.

I really like this photo. Works perfect in Black and White. Love the Tone and the Lines…

Beautiful composition, Ron, and B&W suits it well.

Sometimes if you use the healing brush or the newer removal brush in PS and get just he right area, it can figure out what you want to remove and get it right. Alternatively, with the nearly symmetrical halo, you could try selecting a wedge from the side, and rotating and moving it over the area you want to clean up. The sky looks pretty uniform, so it looks like you could blend it in.