Goodnight moon

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Taken from a boat near the Chesapeake Bay, with the waxing gibbous moon (2 nights before full) rising among some clouds at sunset. At first I was trying to capture the rising moon together with water and ground, but then decided to zoom in. I see this image almost as an abstract, with the moon very recognizable of course, but seen in kind of an unfamiliar setting, with the clouds not so recognizable. I like the complementary colors of orange clouds and blue sky.

Technical Details

Canon 5D mk iv, 560 mm (100-400 with 1.4x extender), handheld 1/1000 sec, f8, ISO 2000. Processed in Lightroom and Topaz DeNoise. Only a small amount of cropping.

Very nice! You had clean stable air to get such good sharpness on the moon that low on the horizon. The clouds do have a very abstract look.

The sky color feels a bit cyan. I did a Color Balance and pushed the midtones a bit away from Cyan toward Red and the sky felt better and the moon and clouds went even warmer, which would fit with last light and a rising moon.

Thanks for your comments Diane. Being somewhat new at adjusting colors in LR, could you explain to me a bit more on what you mean by doing a Color Balance? Did you mean the WB dropper? that took me too far into deep blues. I tried pushing Tint a bit to the right, which had a similar effect to what you describe, but I’m not sure if that’s what you meant?

My option for tweaking the JPEG was to pull it into PS, where I used a Color Balance adjustment layer. But color adjustments are always best done in the raw stage and LR is a great tool. The starting point is the Temp and Tint sliders – that is probably all you need here. The presets and whatever the in-camera WB was may or may not be accurate but are worth a look. The WB dropper is meant to be used on an area that should be neutral, which does not occur in most images.

There isn’t a lot to “balance to” here but the sky color is a very good target. A calibrated and profiled monitor help but these days they’re a lot better than they used to be.

Global adjustments are the place to start, then if you really need to work with individual colors, go to the HSL panel.

Got it, thanks again.