Moonlit Pinnacles + Rework

Rework

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

Nearly clear skies, with enough light to generate highlights and provide texture in the shadows.

Creative direction

The starkness of this remote site, yet it can be attractive.

Specific Feedback

If you have never been there, would you consider going?
If you have been there, did you only shoot during the daylight hours?

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D II; Canon EF 28-70mm @ 43mm, f/11 @ 1/60 sec, -1 EV, ISO 100; Gitzo tripod, RRS BH 55, Canon RS-80N3 remote switch

Description

Early morning Blue Hour, with a New Moon providing little illumination, finds the photographer lining up his shot of the starfield with the fascinating backlit forms of the Trona Pinnacles serving as foreground.

Bob, I would not have considered going there if I had just gone by what I saw when I googled Trona Pinnacles. Your rendition of it makes me want to reconsider the possibility. I like the deep indigo colors. I can see a suggestion of detail in the rocks, but I would like more. I downloaded it and opened up the shadows just a bit. It helps break up the heaviness of the massive dark rocks.

Thank you @Barbara_Djordjevic for your comments and suggestion to open the shadows more on the rocks. the image looks better.
I did as you suggested and made the image foreground rocks lighter, preserving the sky tones with a layer mask. Unfortunately when i post the image as “Rework” the sky is lighter also. I deleted and redid the reworked image. Same result. I will try another time. This is not the first time I have encountered this problem.

Bob, I opened the image in PS and then applied the Camera Raw filter. There, all I did was move the shadow slider just a bit.

Thank you @Barbara_Djordjevic for your explanation of how you made the changes. I attempted to show the changes on another file but the result is the same. It is not the technique that is the culprit. I cleared the cache on the browser and it had no effect. I will wait a few days, clear the cache again, and upload the modified file to see if it makes any difference. If not, I will simply note in the original post for others to look at your modified file.

Bob, please keep trying to post your change. I am glad you like what I suggested, but your picture and artistic concept matter.