making a moon shadow, looking at morning star

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

evening star rising, not morning star

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

a fun photo I took in 2015 still with a Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III, now a monster in size, but sometimes I look back at this camera with feelings of nostalgia. I think this was actually the evening star, not the morning star, and I was backlit by the full moon that had risen maybe 90 minutes ?before.

Bernhard, welcome to NPN and the Weekly Challenge. This is a neat first post. The mix of rock formations and stars is quite striking. The extra bright “object” that shows up as a 6 point star is fun also. It looks like you burned-in the formation touching the right edge quite a bit. Reducing that darkening and tapering it would give a more realistic view. Your timing was good, getting a nice balance of light on the landscape and light in the sky.

Hello Mark, just wanted to clarify that there’s been no darkening done on the sandstone formation in the photo - this is as real as it gets! If you take a closer look, you’ll notice the shadows on the ground cast by the rock itself. It was all due to the angle of the moon, which placed the rock formation in shadow. This shot was taken early in the evening when the moon hadn’t risen very high yet, hence the appearance of the evening star. I snapped this photo about 10 years ago and decided to share it for the fun of it - you don’t come across moments like this too often! Also attached another photo of a full moon from a nearby area, taken after midnight. Thanks for the feedback!

Interesting bit about the rockface at the edge… I didn’t see that in the picture. I like your “twin towers” better, although it’s missing the star of Venus.