Morning Glow

Morning sun on sharp mountain peaks in the Sexten Dolomites. The scene was spectacular and the light and clouds perfect, just as I had hoped for! I especially liked the low clouds on the bottom of the image. I chose a portrait format to include these clouds and also to emphasize vertical lines leading to the sharp mountain peaks.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I am now planning to to make a large print and I would appreciate your feedback on color tones/saturation, contrast, overall brightness, and other suggestions to improve the image.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Feedback on composition and impact of the image.

Any pertinent technical details:

Single shot, with Canon 5D Mark III3 and Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM
93 mm, f/8, 1/30 sec, ISO100, on tripod

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Ruben,

Outstanding - and this will make a gorgeous print! At least on my screen, the color/sat and processing in general look great and I think print ready. I love how the clouds and valley fog tie the mountain landscape together. The upper cloud just touching the high peak actually creates a bit of a 3D look. Very cool.

If/when printing, my suggestion would be to go over with a fine toothed comb for any little annoyances. I see a nice dust bunny near the bottom of the frame, LLC. Otherwise, ship it!

Lon

Gorgeous light, drama and mood. Beautiful image! No suggestions here, I am just enjoying the image.

Hi Ruben,
Nice to see you posting on NPN! This is a spectacular image. Beautifully composed layering. Only suggestion would be to pull back a touch on the highlights on the peaks. They look at bit hot.

Just a beautiful image, as the others said, ready to print!

Just do it. It’s excellent.

Beautiful image. Everything came together for you in this one, the cloud, the fog, and the shadows. There some not obvious layering going on here which makes the comp work really well. There is very little to improve here. I find the light talus diagonals going off the frame in upper right a but annoying but I can’t tell if I’m obsessing over it or not. You could darken them out, clone them out, crop it off, or do nothing.

Thank you very much for your comments, Lon!
Thanks for pointing out the dust spot, I am glad I could fix it before printing! They are easily overlooked on the screen, but not on a large print.

Thank you very much, Harley!

Thank you very much, Dave! I was happy to find NPN, as I was always hoping that something like this exists.
Thanks for your helpful comments on the image. I made some slight adjustments, pulling down the highlights on the peaks and pulling up the shadows a bit in the lower part of the image. I also made the lower clouds a bit brighter to give them more emphasis. I think it is more balanced now and it seems ready for print.

1 Like

Thank you very much, Alan!

Thank you very much, Pieter!

1 Like

Thank you very much for your comments, Igor!
I looked at this, but it didn’t really bother me, so I left it as is. I made some adjustments to highlights and shadows (see response to Dave), and am now preparing for print.

Woah nilly! Killer shot. The coloration of the rock on the mastif looks like it’s flowing in to the clouds. Awesome work.

aF

I think this works really well Ruben! The light and tones look lovely. Its got some cool interest in the centre from the scree fields. Nicely done

Oddly, I couldn’t get the image to enlarge on click but just from the small size it looks pretty great. I often end up processing on the “moodier” side I guess, but having been printing myself lately I’ve certainly noticed that images with clear details and a good range of contrast like this image here print especially beautifully.

Thank you very much, Aaron! I also like these lines coming down from the mountains into the clouds.

Thank you very much for your comment, Eugene!

1 Like

Thank you very much for your comment, Nathaniel! It is strange that you cannot see it large, it works on my PC.
When preparing images for print, I often make my images overall a bit brighter than for screen. I don’t know how to optimize this other than making smaller test prints.