Morning Thoughts + REPOST

After a fine cup of coffee in the dark, I wandered about 50 yards from my Wyoming campsite to compose this one.

D810, 70-200mm

Thanks for some great feedback on this image. I found it most useful. Here is a repost of this one.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

The early glow on the cliffs looks great! This may be a monitor difference, but what do you think about opening it up a little:

2 Likes

Harley,

A grand scene and I like where you’re going with this in terms of emphasizing the first light on the peak which of course is the main story. I might take it further, but of course we each have our own outlooks and impressions. For me, I think the light on the peak needs to be a bit brighter relative to the rest of the scene, really emphasizing that first light. I like the warmth, (Dave’s is brighter but the color shift is off.)

I also see where leaving the mountain side darker is to also help emphasize the first light. For me though, given the darker mountains take up 50% of the image, it’s creating a little ping pong for me - looking for details, but then realizing it’s about the light on the peak. I would either lighten both the peak and the mountains, OR take this even further and darken the mountains a bit more and perhaps cropping from the bottom since there’s nothing in the bottom half really adding to the scene.

Love the sky/clouds and am wondering if there’s any more? More luminous clouds up top, a brighter peak and less/darker mountains) could take this one up a level.

It’s an awesome view and being there was of course the best part. :wink:

Lon

That alpenglow is glorious. I’m conflicted here because I’ll like to see a tad more detail in the foreground mountains but at the same time it might distract from the peaks in the background. I’ll also would like to see a bit more detail in the clouds.

Attached is a sample with the changes I mentioned. I also cropped it to a standard 16:9 (that’s just a pet peeve of mine :joy:)

Nice one. Harley. Some beautiful light and the dark rendering evokes a moody and mysterious feel. I like what John did with his rework. I played with a few crops and prefer with a bit taken off the bottom resulting in 1/3 land and 2/3 sky to minimize the “dead space” in the dark shadows and place more emphasis on the sky/lit peaks.

Much appreciated for some great ideas on this image. I reposted an updated version above. Thanks!!!

Huge improvement Harley and thanks for taking the time and considering the suggestions!

Excellent compromise on the mountains with the crop and slight lightening; works nicely. the biggest thing I noticed, is that the light on the left tower is revealed; in fact I even noticed the last light on the much smaller peak to the left; all told, the light on all the peaks is greatly improved. Well done.

Lon

Your cropped and slightly lightened repost works very nicely for me. Cropping the bottom puts the emphasis on the gorgeous sky and the crags. You did a good job handling the dynamic range and the processing. Works for me.
-P

I really like the new crop. Nicely done!

The new version looks great!