Morning light at Point Imperial

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I have played with more and less of the foreground included in this image and have settled on this. Any and all critiques welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 5DM4 ISO 100 16mm f/18 1/13sec

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.

mosjo848

1 Like

Hi John! I really like this image. For me the clouds and your framing are very nice, and the light is excellent. Well done!

1 Like

Hi @John_Moses

Amazing viewpoint, and the light is gorgeous, specially on that center rock.
I like the composition and the framing created by the trees.
I would try to clone out star sun star on the left that distracts a bit, and try edit the sky and the far background using luminosity masks or major adjustments, It look a bit brushed, especially when comparing the sky between the tress Vs the sky on the center and that halo on the edge of the trees.

Other then that the image is very interesting, a gorgeous view indeed.

Cheers

1 Like

I like the view, the composition and the mood, Reminds me of 19-th century landscape paintings. But in as a photograph it works slightly over-processed for me. I would like to see a more natural version.

1 Like

The light is gorgeous and the way the trees have been used as a frame within the frame works very well indeed. I rather agree with Jaapov, that the picture does feel over processed but ultimately that is an aesthetic choice that only you can determine. It does evoke 19th century landscape paintings and if that is your intent then your choice has intention. My one issue with this image has more to do with composition. You have created a beautiful frame within the frame but what is it that you are framing? As it is, there is the ā€œobjectā€ that is centre frame. Iā€™m not sure what it is, whether it is man-made or a natural rock formation, but as depicted it grabs my attention and doesnā€™t want to let go. But, to be honest, I donā€™t find it very interesting and it blocks my eye from going where I really want to go - out, roaming around that glorious canyon landscape. My feeling is that if you really want me to look at that rock formation, get it in closer so there is more detail to hold my attention. Otherwise, Iā€™d downplay it or find a POV that makes it less central.

2 Likes

Hi John,

This is certainly a great scene. Personally I would focus the comp more on the rocky canyons and give less visual emphasis to the trees.

From a processing perspective the sky looks unnaturally darkened to me. For example the dark parts of the sky seem to be darker than the shadows in the canyons. And the middle of frame sky is darker than the sky coming through the trees on the right hand side of the frame.

I would spend more time balancing the luminosity in the scene and Iā€™d also look at some of your masks as there is some hallowing around the tree leaves.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for all of your comments. Tomorrow Iā€™ll go back and look at reprocessing the image to see if overdid it on the luminosity masks.

@Kerry_Gordon and @Nathan_Klein really sum up my thoughts on this image.

While I like the concept of a window view through the forest. I find the framing trees are too dominant visually, and overwhelm the formation at Point Imperial. I also donā€™t like the gap of light to the right of the right most treeā€¦ I would try to re-compose this in a direction like this.

Hi John, this is a nice shot of Mt Hayden in the morning light. For being such a dramatic location, it often seems difficult to come away with a keeper image. Youā€™ve done an excellent job of capturing the location and emphasizing the main element against a darker complex set of canyon layers. I do agree with Ed that the tree framing is a little much. The wide angle shot does make Mt Hayden seem rather small, so I would crop and try to keep the formation as the star of the show. Your processing does have some of that classical painting look, but I quite like it. When I saw the thumbnail I expected to see a castle on a mountain in Germany somewhere. I did a quick edit to show you what I mean. I did cool it down and lighten it just a touch, as well as straightening the trees. Overall, great image of a tricky location.

As I look at it a little more, the halo around the tree on the right side is noticeable as well as the sky behind it is quite bright. You might be able to re-edit, and darken the whole sky using some luminosity masking. That is a tricky thing to edit. I tried to work with it in the downloadable image, but I think it would be best to start with the original capture.

John Thanks for the great suggestions. I have been away from the computer for a few days so today I am going to go back and see what I can do with your advice. I liked what you did with the cropping. When I went back and looked at the raw image the sky has always had a somewhat unnatural appearance to it which I attributed to the haze from surrounding wildfires.