Morning light

A beautiful foggy early morning just as the sun rises

Specific Feedback Requested

All

Technical Details

1 Like

Hi Jorma,

This is a beautiful scene, the lighting is very complementary and your processing is spot on and I love the color separation here. I feel like the right side of it is the most interesting–being very ethereal, soft, and less literal–while the left side is almost the complete opposite–being very textured, busy, and literal. I think that the left side only detracts from the image and dilutes its impact. I played with some cropping and I think something like this keeps all the best parts while getting rid of what you don’t need. Whenever there is a super interesting or visually striking element in a scene, I try to just leave it all on its own as anything else included tends to actually contradict it instead of adding to it.

While I do understand the original framing, as it helps it to feel more balanced by giving more breathing room on the left side, I don’t feel that it’s worth the trade off.

I hope this helps!

Thank you Eric for the nice feedback. Actually, I’ve liked that left margin, but maybe it can be sacrificed :slight_smile:

I have to say, I understand why Eric chose to crop from the left. But to me, it feels a bit like “following the rules” and, for me, makes the image quite ordinary. Your original post, Jorma, isn’t quite balanced but it has a touch of mystery (that shadowy tree on the left) that adds considerable interest to the whole . I might be tempted to crop a hair from the right side, maybe just beyond the tips of the branches (5:7) because that right side is very bright and doesn’t let me stay with the “mystery” tree on the left as long as I’d like. I think cropping a hair from the right would increase the dialectic tension between shadow and light, balancing it a bit more whereas, as it is, it feels like the right side is just too overpowering. Maybe something like this:

1 Like

Kerry, it would also be possible to cut from the top. Just under the hanging branch on the right.

Kerry makes a fair point, I think something you could do to accentuate what he is saying is darken that side a little more. To me with how bright it is right now it draws my eye away from the main tree a bit too much and dilutes its impact. (I just realized there are mushrooms growing on the base of the trunk, that is really cool!).

In regards to your comment, Jorma. Not saying that this is necessarily the case with this particular image here, but sometimes even though there are several attractive visual elements or things that we like, it doesn’t mean they will all combine well into a cohesive image.

2 Likes