Morning Tones

More images from last August’s canoe trip in Temagami, Ontario.
My favourite time of day. Heavy fog starting to clear. Pure magic.
My impulse was to post process in B&W, which I did. But somewhere along the way, I pressed a button (TK8 panel) and turned off the pixel conversion by mistake. When I pulled the colour back and doodled with it a bit, I rather liked the new version. A dumb question, I know, since colour and black and white of the same image typically result in an entirely different interpretation and comparing them is a bit of “apples and oranges”. But here, the colour is quite subdued and I wonder the extent to which, in the end, it might be stronger than the B&W in the way it set s the spit of land even more apart from its misty setting. Your feedback would be most appreciated.

Is this a composite: No

I think I prefer the hint of color. For me that intensifies the fogginess in the way that it fades from view as do the objects. Because we’re so color-oriented in our visual cortexes, the loss of color as well as definition and form adds to the uneasy feeling we often get from being in or seeing images of fog. Because we can’t hear the aural distortions that also come with fog, reinforcing a disconcerting feeling visually is important with fog images and for me, reduction of color is part of it.

In terms of composition, I’d like to see the tree less centered. That could impart even more of a sense of isolation. Great details and mood. I like the way the angle of the rocky point mimics the angle of the trees receding out of view.

Both works really well for me. The two have slightly different moods and feel, but I like them equally well. No nits here.

I will go for B&W on this. There is a very classic feel to the B&W. Now, is it just me, or does the image can be rotated CW just a little bit?

I would rotate the image 90 degrees counter clockwise for a totally different look.

I’m with Kris on this one, the hint of color really works well here. Nice work.

I like them both, Kerry. As @Harley_Goldman said, they both have a different feel and mood to them. But I tend to favor the hint of color version.

I love both but I think the hint of color shows how foggy and subdued the scene was.

Oh, I love the color version. The colors are so subdued, it’s almost b&w by itself. The hint of color, though, makes me feel the scene more personally.

Put me down for the color version Kerry. I LOVE the fact that there is just a hint of color and I almost always prefer a B&W when comparing two images but the color version just pulls me into the scene in a way that the B&W doesn’t. No nits from me on the composition. I like it as is. Great mood.

I strongly prefer the color version, for example I think the tree separates from the background in a more interesting way in the color version, thus making it stronger as a subject. The soft green of the tree adds a lot to the image for me.

I also like the subtle X-shape created by the fallen branch on the big rock. To me that makes the composition more complex, and thus more interesting . It is a very nice small touch that adds to my appreciation of the image.

@Kris_Smith - thanks for your comments. I did experiment with having the tree less centred but , in the end, I felt that centring it gave it more of a dream-like quality - floating. Putting it off centre adds a level of tension that I think grounds the image, which doesn’t accurately convey my experience of wandering around in the fog in the pre-dawn-middle-of-nowhere.
@Harley_Goldman , @Adhika_Lie , @Igor_Doncov , @David_Bostock , @linda_mellor , @Diane_Miller , @Bonnie_Lampley , @David_Haynes , @Ed_McGuirk - Thank you all for your kind words and support. Having sat with this image for a ten days or so, I’m pretty clear that I’m with most of you - I feel the desaturated colour version works best. So, that’s my story and I’m sticking with it :grin:

1 Like